Thread: rear main seal

ok, book and instructions say lip goes forward, so by looking at this pic that means that if this seal was set in the motor the rest of the motor, or the front of the motor would be on the left (looking at the pic or away from the little screws on the desk ) right?
    http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/12020-2/DSCF4313.JPG

obnoxious001
    CORRECT,, guys have different tricks for putting them in, I use gasket cinch on the back side and the block and rear main cap. Don't forget to use some oil or bearing lube on the seal where it contacts the crankshaft. I used tiny dabs of gasket cinch on the ends of the seals, but you don't want any on the crank.
    Many guys stagger the ends, instead of in the block and in the cap, maybe 3/4" overlap, but I have not run into leaks doing it my way.

Fiat48
    The biggy is not to cut the back of the rear main seal as you silde it into the cap or block.

The book talks about putting them in flat to the cap and block but the instructions on the package say to make sure the parting of the cap/block does not line up with the parting lines of the seal to ensure a better seal.
    I just put them in like the book said. One thing i did forget was to oil the damn seal... I read this section 400 times and once as i was doing the crank install and i still managed to miss a step Oh well guess i'll have to carfully pull the rear main and fix it.
    Thanks for the help.

obnoxious001
    If you oiled the crank surface, it would be ok also.

welp, pulled it out and it was sealed real good, so good that when i tried to seperate the 2 halfs it didnt want to come apart at the parting lines and tore a corner off one of the seals... guess i'm ordering a new seal

GofastRacer
    Wow what did you use that tore it up???, I use rear seals over and over until they leak no problem!..

The ultra blue RTV.. Shit was stuck on there good, i'm sure it was error on my part, i was pulling it to one side more trying to see if i could get the rtv to streach/tear enough to find the parting line and slit it with a razor blade.
    Now i'm sitting on here all antzy waiting for the new seal so i can get back out there.

PC Rat
    The book talks about putting them in flat to the cap and block but the instructions on the package say to make sure the parting of the cap/block does not line up with the parting lines of the seal to ensure a better seal.
    I just put them in like the book said. One thing i did forget was to oil the damn seal... I read this section 400 times and once as i was doing the crank install and i still managed to miss a step Oh well guess i'll have to carfully pull the rear main and fix it.
    Thanks for the help.
    What is the book you are referring to?

A old book called "How to rebuild your big block chevy"