Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Msd

GofastRacer
    Well I guess I should have asked this a while ago.
    Guess I had to find it myself.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Art, Do you have a Vertex to sell??
    Sorry John, I sold one last summer I have one extra but I'll be using that one, but I'll keep an eye out for a good one for ya!..

I am watching a couple on e-bay.
    Also have my msd stuff on there.
    Hey Steel can you beleive we agreed on something, LOL

Fiat48
    Hang tight there Morg. I am finding out if the guy will sell that Vertex you are using.

On a 540 turbo ski race motor... I'd run a mag for years, always ran well, well except it idled for shit... always. Surge and die, surge and die. I decided to try and MSD 6 system which MSD generously donated for running their stickers on the boat. The engine idled like a different motor. Before I'd always have to stop, put in neutral, clean er out when idling or it would just flat load up and die. No more of that shit with the MSD, I could idle 5 miles if I had the desire. As far as top end performance I saw no difference. Talking about an engine with a max rpm of around 6K. I was very pleased with the upgrade and in this case would never consider going back to a mag.
    Most the problems I hear about with MSD are install related, that is, insufficient grounds or hot feeds. MSD's do not like loose connections of any kind, weather it be corrosion, bolting a ground over anodize (an insulator) or whatever. MSD has told me over 90% of their combacks are connection related problems caused by bad installs. Do MSD's ever die. Of course they do. I had one on my truck die. But it just wouldn't run, wouldn't even start. They sent a new box, problem gone.
    That is my .02 on MSD. btw Crane also makes an excellent product. But I'd never consider running a mag again on anything I wanted to idle cleanly. They just don't have the output at idle speed. Great for race stuff that doesn't idle much.

MDS has been bought out by investors, and their reliability is going to shit. Most of the NASCAR guys are switching to the Crane HIFire, which is what I put on my boat. Less expensive, too.
    Dump the MSD.
    Really I would like to here the data to support this rather large claim. I have to agree with rex, installed incorectly is the greatest problem. But their is a reason that any competitive sport runs a back up box regardless of brand.

steelcomp
    I am watching a couple on e-bay.
    Also have my msd stuff on there.
    Hey Steel can you beleive we agreed on something, LOL
    I didn't realize we ever disagreed...just figured you were one of the v-drive steel haters.

steelcomp
    Really I would like to here the data to support this rather large claim. I have to agree with rex, installed incorectly.
    Actually, I just made it up.

obnoxious001
    My ski race boat always idled fine with the mag, but real extended low rpm running,, like cruising Parker strip on a real busy weekend, would want to kill the plugs.
    Since I no longer have the race boat, I have the Vertex (with slip collar and Mallory solid wires) available if someone needs one. Don Zig did occasional checks on it, and it never failed me.

Big Boys Toy PE857
    Let me add my .02 worth. I have a 604 ci BBC 14-71 supercharged alc inj drag motor in my Kurtis 500 hydro. It dyno'ed 1500 hp, 1500 lb/ft torque. It has a MSD 10 ignition system and crank trigger. I have no desire for a mag. This system works great. Also no need for an offset drive with a crab type distributor.

I have been running MSD for a number of years, two years with the Revenge. Always swore by them. This year running the injected alky I had a number of hours & close to 80 gallons of alky burnt before this problem started.
    I am running 10ga. wires for power & ground. Using all MSD weathertight connectors. All connections are soldered & sealed with dialectric grease. Like I stated above I do not have the trigger & coil wires seperated. They were in seperate sheaths, bundled together.
    Steel, Come on cheif, we can even agree that we agreed.
    Obnxs1, I may be interested in the mag. I will let you know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast