Thread: surrounded by salt water

NavalOfficer
    Hey all
    Surrounded by salt water here in Jacksonville, FL. Have been commuting to the nearest lake, but debating on running in salt. (the river here is amazing) Anyone else run in SW?
    thanks and respect
    Frank

HammerDown
    I hear there's lots of Gators in them waters! :2purples:
    I ran salt once...clogged up my header lines.

Hey NV. I've been running in it for 3 years with no problems. I, like you am surrounded by salt with a awesome boatlaunch less than a mile awhile and the nearest decent sized lake about 100 miles away so it's a no brainer to play in the salt.
    I have a little bit of a routine but nothing excessive. When I'm done playing I undo my water line coming off my pump (fabbed up a fitting to mate with my SS lines) and just turn the water on easy like so it has a really good opportunity to flush out.
    I do also pull my Bassett T valve apart and give it a cleaning once in a while and a squirt of WD40 but frankly I'd do that anyhow regardless of what water I run in.
    I pulled my pump apart last winter and have to admit that I was scared to see what the salt might have done to it. Pleased to say nothing. Shaft looked great and the impeller nut spun right off.
    The only thing that may have not liked the salt is the starter. It sets way down there and is always getting wet. I know this year I had to replace it and it was pretty damn rusty when I pulled it apart to see what had gone out. I just core charged it and plunked in another Schucks cheapy. $30 for 3 years isnt bad if you ask me.
    Go for it. We love it. Endless boating......
    PS. 3 years and no problems with my header lines. Maybe I've been lucky.

NavalOfficer
    Go for it. We love it. Endless boating......
    Thank you, appreciate you taking the time for a detailed response!!!

Good luck and enjoy the jelly fish (another topic on here somewhere)....and let me know if you have any thoughts or concerns......John

olbiezer
    hey navy dude......stay out of the salt water the st. johns is too close to worry about going in salt.......look there is a gathering every year at palatca (spelling) on the st johns that gets hundreds of boats.....look up dragboatcity.com and go to the pic section usually some advertisements about it and other stuff :rollside:

If there's something close that's not salt like olbiezer is saying, go for it.
    If there isn't and the fear of running in the salt ends up making your boat a trailer queen, no worries. Run it in the salt but just know that it takes a bit more washing up.
    Good luck and have fun regardless of the direction you take.................John