Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed gain from bottom treatments?

SevenD
    Out of curiosity, has anyone tried any of the bottom treatments mentioned in the last issue of Powerboat magazine and seen noticeable improvements? I have a 24 v-hull and am looking for a few mph (as everyone is). I did look into the Hyspeedkote and even called someone from the company. Just curious if anyone out there had any real life experience.

ECeptor
    Everything I've read shows it being worth nothing on a v-hull. Maybe if you are running over 100mph you might see something...maybe.
    As for more speed, whatcha running? Hull, engine, exhaust, intake, prop, etc?

FASTERDAMITT
    A twelve pack instead of a case in the cooler might give you the same results! :rollside:

DMOORE
    Snake oil.

SevenD
    Thanks for the advice. . . . I figured as much. Eceptor, I am running a 24 foot Advantage (22 Citation) with a Whipple charged 502mpi. I've upgraded the exhaust manifolds to Stainless Marine, upgraded to heavy duty Imco gears in the Bravo, and done a few other tinkerings internally. I am turning a 27" Hydromotive 4-blade (those Hydromotives seem to have a little more "cup" than the Mercury props) at roughly 5500 rpm. I still have a little ways to go to reach the 100 plateau, so I guess the Hyspeedkote wouldn't do a whole lot. Eceptor, what are you running?

ECeptor
    Thanks for the advice. . . . I figured as much. Eceptor, I am running a 24 foot Advantage (22 Citation) with a Whipple charged 502mpi. I've upgraded the exhaust manifolds to Stainless Marine, upgraded to heavy duty Imco gears in the Bravo, and done a few other tinkerings internally. I am turning a 27" Hydromotive 4-blade (those Hydromotives seem to have a little more "cup" than the Mercury props) at roughly 5500 rpm. I still have a little ways to go to reach the 100 plateau, so I guess the Hyspeedkote wouldn't do a whole lot. Eceptor, what are you running?
    Wow...you're pushing 100mph with a 24' v-bottom? Does it get spooky at those speeds?
    I'm in a 24' Chaparral Villain III w/ a very mildly warmed up 454. Probably only putting out 350-375hp, so I'm solid in the mid 60's.
    I'm not sure what else you can do with your set up aside from a smaller blower pulley...

DMOORE
    Add an intercooler and more boost. If your that close to the century mark, ya just gotta do it.

YeLLowBoaT
    Cuting down your drag helps, I remember reading in a boating mag about a 30 something footer picking up 12 mph( low 100s to high 1teens) by shaving its water pick ups by like 3/8ths of a inch.( they had over 60 psi when then needed less then 20). Granted I am sure thats extreme, but I can see you picking up a few mph by getting rid of some stuff you don't need.

DMOORE
    Cuting down your drag helps, I remember reading in a boating mag about a 30 something footer picking up 12 mph( low 100s to high 1teens) by shaving its water pick ups by like 3/8ths of a inch.( they had over 60 psi when then needed less then 20). Granted I am sure thats extreme, but I can see you picking up a few mph by getting rid of some stuff you don't need.
    I agree. By fine tuning everything on the hull, he would get a much better result than magic paint. It's interesting that the atricle StevenD refered to did state that sanding the rear of the hull did show a noticable improvement. Obviously sanding isn't what most people want to do to thier boat.
    Darrell.

SevenD
    I should clarify. . . . .when I mentioned I "had a little ways to 100," I was exaggerating a wee bit. I am in the mid to upper 80s (although I've beaten a few boats who "claim" they're running in the 90s. . . . how does that happen??!) Anyway, I was just looking for a mile per hour or at most two. I figured for 60 bucks I don't have much to lose. I've tweaked about every other thing possible including blueprinting the prop and increasing air flow in the engine compartment. Thanks for the advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast