Thread: Frozen Tundra

I live in the frozen tundra (Wisconsin). What do you guys recommend doing to engine and pump and how do you go about it? Thanks.

mnjettr
    I live in the frozen tundra (Wisconsin). What do you guys recommend doing to engine and pump and how do you go about it? Thanks.
    4trax, I'm in MN. and this will be the first time to winterize a jet boat for me.
    I plan to remove the return lines and use a drill pump and pump anti freeze thru the system till it comes out the returns???? I have a dominater pump don't think theres anything to do there? looking for suggestions.

Aluminum Squirt
    Move to California :boxed: -Aluminum Squirt

olbiezer
    depending on the type engine u have there should be a brass drain plyg in each side of the block just above the oil pan about the middle of the engine side......drains about a gallon of water outh each side of the block....... :rollside:

depending on the type engine u have there should be a brass drain plyg in each side of the block just above the oil pan about the middle of the engine side......drains about a gallon of water outh each side of the block....... :rollside:
    That should be good enough for the engine? Is there anything I should do to the pump? If I were suppose to put anti-freeze in it how do you go about putting it in so it gets every where?

Move to California :boxed: -Aluminum Squirt
    I would love to move where it's summer all the time. But I don't think I could afford it as a matter affact I know I couldn't. Bad enough now. :boxed:

wowchad
    I'm near Milwaukee and all I ever did was remove the T-stat (cover only on mine) and dump RV type anti-freeze down there until it came out the exhause drains, which you open first.
    The little bit of water left in the jet won't hurt anything (there won't be much because it all goes out the bottom).
    It's the block and exhaust you need to protect most.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm near Milwaukee and all I ever did was remove the T-stat (cover only on mine) and dump RV type anti-freeze down there until it came out the exhause drains, which you open first.
    The little bit of water left in the jet won't hurt anything (there won't be much because it all goes out the bottom).
    It's the block and exhaust you need to protect most.
    Yep, that's all there is.
    There were radiator type petcocks in my block, really handy.
    Drain the block, then close it again.
    Pour a few gallons of RV anti-freeze (Propolene Glycol) in the t-stat housing.
    When it pours pink out the pump, the block anti-freeze has made it to the logs, pushed the water out of them, and filled them. It's just backwards to normal cooling water flow.
    I pull one outlet line off the t-stat housing and use a 2' stub of 5/8 heater hose with a long taper-funnell to fill her. Don't need a clamp. Then throw the cooling hose back on & clamp back down.
    Unless you were just on the water, anything left in the pump will likely have evaporated before it freezes up, but anything left will be a film on the bottom, nowhere near enough to hydraulic closed an area and push outward (how blocks get cracked, the hydrau7lics as ice expands).
    This winter is 28x for old Lowrider.