Thread: 200 Black Max

MOPARMARLIN
    Hey Guys -- I Am Looking At Buying A Stratos Vt180 Rocket With A 200 Mercury Black Max. What Years Did They Make That Engine And How Do I Tell What Yr It Is. The Boat Is A 86 Model. Does Anyone Know Anything Good Or Bad About The Boat. The Hull Looks Like A Air Entrapment Type. Sorry For So Many Questions But I Normally Play With The Two Jets I Have. I Like The Looks Of The Hull And Know The Motor Runs Well, Just Curious Of Pros And Cons.
    Thx In Advance
    Steve

W.O.T
    do you have any pics of the boat? is it similar to an svt? i havent heard anything bad about those motors but i honestly dont know that much about the black maxs. how many litres is the motor? carburated or injected? i would prefer a 2.5 merc. if you cant find the year check the serial number and call around or check online and you will be able to get a year with that. i used to own an older 2.4 parts were a little expensive and hard to come by for it. i doubt the black max is the same if its a good deal i would definitely be interested. hope this helps a little. i own a jet now but i would go back to an outboard if i found a nice tunnel hull with a 2.5 youll never look back

Towndrunk
    They made the Black Mx from the late 70's to the late 80's. Some were 2 liters and some 2.4 liters. NO 2.5 liters. Parts shouldn't be hard to get and they 2.0 to 2.5 are all expensive. Look on the linkage side of the case halves for a date stamped in the block. Right on the flange were the are put together. This should give you the year.

MOPARMARLIN
    Wot And Td
    Thx For The Info -- The Year Is What I Mainly Need To Make Sure This Is Something I Want To Buy. I Looked At The Boat Last Night Again It Is Definitely A Tunnel Hull As It Has Spontons Like A Picklefork But Is A Vee Hull.

riverracerXXX
    sounds like a mod-VP