Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Float Valve Question...

78Eliminator
    I was adjusting my float valves last night, trying to get ready for the weekend. Not matter how low I screw in the valves, the level is still too high. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have the wrong valves? Can I get longer ones so that I can adjust them lower?
    This is driving me nuts.
    Ps I have the boat at the exact same level as it sits on plane so that's not a problem.....
    Justin

HBjet
    whenever my carbs are adjusted, the boat is always level. Not at an angle. Also, I don't have carb problems.
    Level your boat, then adjust and see where that leaves you.
    HBjet

Liberator TJ1984
    Justin ...whats your fuel pressure??

MikeF
    Justin, First check that the new floats are not getting filled w/ fuel (same as before.....it does happen even w/ the brass ones). Test them.
    Try turning the needle/seat valve in further (not using the nut) w/ some tweezers (again, this is only temporary to see what affect it will have on the fuel level). The "screw" will hold the level in position when you tighten it.
    Even though the fuel pressure you checked last time was @ 5#s. Lower it more to see what happens.
    Still troubleshooting.......

78Eliminator
    Liberator TJ1984:
    Justin ...whats your fuel pressure??7 lbs....

78Eliminator
    MikeF
    [QB]Justin, First check that the new floats are not getting filled w/ fuel (same as before.....it does happen even w/ the brass ones). Test them.
    Try turning the needle/seat valve in further (not using the nut) w/ some tweezers (again, this is only temporary to see what affect it will have on the fuel level). The "screw" will hold the level in position when you tighten it.
    QB]Mike,
    I held every float under water in a bucket for a minute or two and looked for bubbles. They were all perfect.
    When I screw the valve all the way down, it gets to the point where it bottoms out (will not go down any farther) but the fuel level is still too high.
    The fuel pressure can't be an issue because when I sit there for a few minutes with the fuel pump on, it never pisses into the block, the level stays at the same (too high) level but doesn't flood out.
    Who sells float valves? Is this something I can pick up at a normal parts store. Maybe a couple are jacked or something?
    Justin

78Eliminator
    HBjet:
    whenever my carbs are adjusted, the boat is always level. Not at an angle. Also, I don't have carb problems.
    Level your boat, then adjust and see where that leaves you.
    HBjetSo when they're adjusted, you can sit a level on the bow of you boat and the bubble will be dead center?

Boater Bill
    Uhh...If I remember right turning the float screws "down" raises the floats,not lowers them.
    You should be setting the float level with the engine running also.

MikeF
    BB, The pivot on 4150 carbs is at the end of the lever. When the needle/seat is adj down this lowers the float/fuel level.
    The reason he is able to adj the fuel level on his boat while not running is because he has an electric fuel pump. wink Mike

MikeF
    78Eliminator:
    MikeF
    [QB]Justin, First check that the new floats are not getting filled w/ fuel (same as before.....it does happen even w/ the brass ones). Test them.
    QB]Mike,
    I held every float under water in a bucket for a minute or two and looked for bubbles. They were all perfect.
    When I screw the valve all the way down, it gets to the point where it bottoms out (will not go down any farther) but the fuel level is still too high.
    The fuel pressure can't be an issue because when I sit there for a few minutes with the fuel pump on, it never pisses into the block, the level stays at the same (too high) level but doesn't flood out.
    Who sells float valves? Is this something I can pick up at a normal parts store. Maybe a couple are jacked or something?
    JustinCheck the tabs on the floats that press on the needle. Maybe they are not positioned correctly.
    Are the floats holley replacment parts or are they some aftermarket floats (they might not be designed well enough for the holley carb (patent infringement)).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast