Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic steering...

SoCal Power
    Most of the off the shelf hydraulic (IMCO, Mayfair, Capilano) stuff is gross overkill on a jet, since there is no real load on the steering system. One could easily use parts offered by sea-star to make their own system, for probably under $1000, but it will be like 3.5 turns lock to lock. I still think that the Calgo "loaded cable" setup is the way to go on a jet, because they are like 1 to 1.5 turns lock to lock.
    I agree, Ducky............The key is helm displacement vs. cylinder bore/stroke. I used a sea star helm for the system shown above with a 2.5 c.i./rev displacement and 3/4" X 3" cylinders. Lock to Lock is 1 rev.

flat broke
    After seeing Dave's setup, a So Cal boat MFG had thought about duplicating the setup on their jet drives. The setup was going to based around the SeaStar helm, and the the cylinders were being spec'd by a Bimba distributor. You can order up the cyinders in a wide variety of volumes(which will control the ratio), and configurations including shaft diameter, body diameter, material composition, so on and so forth. Buuuut if you deviate from an off the shelf offering, you will pay the price of one off parts.
    If you do a search for the orriginal thread, Dave posted the specs and PN's as me mentioned above. The only downside to hydraulic setups is that over time the wheel returns to a different center position. I could see this being a problem for a drag guy who runs the strip of tape on the wheel to identify a straight nozzle orrientation. Though the easy workaround would be to double check the tape line in the pits prior to each run. If it's off, pull the tape and reinstall in the correct orrientation.
    In addition to the clevis style mount that Dave used on his setup, you can order a trunion style base on the cyinder that would be pimp if you wanted to run a tight looking billet bracket to secure it to the transom. Instead of the cyilnder pivoting on a bolt, it would then pivot on the trunion and whatever base you made for it.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/280bimba.jpg
    Chris

wsuwrhr
    Trident boats is using a DUAL Hyd steering setup.
    There are plenty of hoses running the jet setup. PM him, or maybe he will find this thread and respond.
    Brian

AngryJosh
    Thanks for all the replys so far. This has got to be the next upgrade

Froggystyle
    We use a 2.5" Sea Star helm on ours and custom cylinders by Bimba. Our total lock to lock is around 2 turns, but is still stiff and confident. Not cheap, but literally a thousand times better than cables, which we had first. Smooth and predictable, I love it.
    Here is a pic...
    http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_...2-2/Drives.jpg

SoCal Power
    Thanks for all the replys so far. This has got to be the next upgrade
    Good luck with it. FB made some good points. Pay close attention to the cylinder volume vs. helm displacement and be sure the lines are rated for the pressure plus a safety factor. Also, as FB said, the wheel will creep over time. I have to say, that the feel & response of the steering is superior to any other jet steering I've used. Calgo is great too, just a matter of user preference and $$$$
    Also, I like the tunnion mount idea.
    Post some pics when you complete it, so we can do some R&D (aka Rob & Duplicate) :hammer2:
    db

Dogballs
    I have Calgo steering on my CP and I have to tighten the cables at the pump every other outing to keep the slop out of it. Does anyone know if this is normal?

DUCKY
    I have Calgo steering on my CP and I have to tighten the cables at the pump every other outing to keep the slop out of it. Does anyone know if this is normal?
    Something must be pulling loose. I had Calgo on my last v-drive, and once I set it up I never touched it again. I may be reaching here, but I would check the attachment points at both ends of each cable, and if you have never had a Calgo helm apart before, leave it to someone who has. They are a bitch!

DUCKY
    I agree, Ducky............The key is helm displacement vs. cylinder bore/stroke. I used a sea star helm for the system shown above with a 2.5 c.i./rev displacement and 3/4" X 3" cylinders. Lock to Lock is 1 rev.
    I'll bet that is nice to drive. I like quick steering.

kingcole80
    Ive had hyd steering on one of my jets , since i built it, and no matter how hard i try i still have a small lag in the steering, i prefer the cable on my other never had a problem,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast