Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Boats?

Stab-n-Steer
    My friend just bought a '78 wood deck Hurricane v-drive. This thing is absolutely gorgeous! I have heard of Hurricanes but don't really know anything about them. Any history or info would be appreciated. I will post some pics latter, this is really a nice boat!
    Thanks,
    S&S

cdnguitarsnboats
    S&S,
    I picked up a '65 Hurricane wood decker just before I moved from California. I've never really heard much about these particular flats either, other than that they were supposedly built in Burbank.
    I didn't know that they were built as late as '78, so that makes me wonder if you're sure about the year? Seeing as wood deckers are pretty rare, I get the feeling that they probably weren't produced past the late '60's.
    I have pics in the reader rides section. It's an orange boat with really dark mahogany wood. I'd be interested to know how your friends boat differs from mine. It goes without saying that I'd really love to see pics of yours as well.
    Could you tell us more about it?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Stab-n-Steer
    Jim,
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, you never know about the actual year of a v-drive hull. The pink indicates '78 but that might have been when it was registered... The guy he bought it from said it was one of the last, if not the last one off the mold. Your description of your '65 sounds like this boat. It has beautiful mahogany wood deck and dash. The wood runs back to and around the top of the transom. It's really nice!
    I will try to find your boat in Readers Rides section. It might be a few days before I can get back over there to take pictures but I will post them when I do...
    S&S
    [ August 26, 2002, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Stab-n-Steer ]

Stab-n-Steer
    Jim,
    I assume this your boat? Really nice! Man I love wood deckers! My friend's boat is similar but definately different on the deck. So maybe it is a later model. Like I said i'll post some pics when I can...
    S&S
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/flattie2.JPG[/img]

V-Drive Tom
    S-n-S, Maybe you already know, but it was BOB WARREN, HURRICANE BOATS. I don't know a lot about them, but they are very nice boats, that seem to handle well with power also. Two customers of mine in the early 80's had them. They seem compact, well built, with nice lines. TOM..

VDTom,
    thanks. It was driving me ****ing nuts! I couldn't remember Bob Warrens last name.

caution 2
    Hurricane boats were built in No. hollywood calif. about the 1980's Bob gave the business to his son Steve, there shop was a block or 2 down the street for my old shop. Steve passed away from cancer about 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure Bob is still alive. Jim Brock

Stab-n-Steer
    Jim,
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know when they stopped making the hulls?
    S&S

Stab-n-Steer
    V-D Tom,
    Bob Warren... Now i'm starting to remember. This particular boat belonged to a guy named Chuck Taylor who used to drive drag boats in the 70's according to what I was told. The name sounds familar but I can't place him. Do you know him?
    S&S

superdave013
    Stab-n-Steer:
    V-D Tom,
    Bob Warren... Now i'm starting to remember. This particular boat belonged to a guy named Chuck Taylor who used to drive drag boats in the 70's according to what I was told. The name sounds familar but I can't place him. Do you know him?
    S&SI used to have some Converse Chuck Taylor shoes!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast