Thread: To Droop Or Not To Droop

ztoe
    I have a 22 ft Sonic Jet Performance with a 502BBC it makes 525hp here in Colorado the boat weighs 2700lbs and I have a place diverter its a Legend pump with an A2 impeller. I was thinking about adding a droop snoot and wanted some feedback on that idea. It will run 60mph right now also maybe a loader grate?
    Jim

Aluminum Squirt
    Every hull reacts differently, the droop may help a bunch or not at all (I guess in an extreme case it could actually hurt your performance). The best thing to do is find somebody close that has one you can borrow and test with it, then you'll know if its a good investment. There are different models of droop snoots from the original droop to the straight snoot and I'm sure there are others. This is a broad generalization but the bigger hulls usually benefeit from the droop because they get the most benefeit from lowering the thrust line and drying the hull out, but you also need enough HP to carry the nose and keep the boat from falling on its face. There are many things you can do for some extra MPH from blueprinting the hull if you have a lot of hook or rocker to loaders, shoes, rideplates, tighten up the pump, engine mods, etc. Some more info would help such as what RPM you are turning the A2 (is it a true A2 or has it been cut down), true speed you are running (was 60MPH GPS verified or is that just boat speedo?), and what elevation you are at (you could be losing a lot of HP to elevation if you are up high......add a blower :boxed: ). One of the smart guys on here can take your RPM and make a fairly accurate HP guestimate of what you are putting out, that will help you make a few decisions on where it would be best to spend your money. About how high is your roost at max speed? Just remember that at 22'/2700 lbs you probably aren't going to be seeing huge MPH numbers unless you drop huge $$$, but there are plenty of things you can do to add some MPH-Aluminum Squirt

I was always led to believe that 21' and up dont benfit from a droop . I am getting a split bowl on mine this weekend so I will definatly be testing that theory . It couldn't hurt to try other than the time wasted.
    -beerjet-

quiet riot
    The legend bowl has a different outgoing size to the nozzle then the berks/others. You'll have to use a legend droop unless you change the bowl. I put one on my 17 ft sprint and found that it had way too much up angle for my setup. I cut it down but basically found that the original thrust line and angle I set the boat up with was the best for speed.
    You'll just have to try one for your setup to see but the common berk styles ones won't fit the legend bowl.
    jd

ztoe
    Thanks for the input guys, just to clarify it is a stock A2 Legend impeller and I am turning 4900rpm at 5800ft and the 60 is on the speedo. The engine was upgraded from a stock Indmar 502 making 415hp here on the dyno to 525hp
    Maybe a different impeller A maybe?
    Jim

TaylorJet
    i added a droop 3 weeks ago and love it. i can really feel how it lifted me out of water and i got about 3-4 mph out of it,not to mention with the elec jetovator it has nice roostertail. i run a 21 ft taylor open bow with a 383 and berk. good luck