Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how much doe for the go

bergen
    Bergen,
    Having been down this road, let me offer you a little advise.
    Don't get cought up trying to make a big heavy boat fast. You will just spend lots of money, and be dissappointed with the results in the end.
    If you want to go fast, get a different hull which was designed for it!
    Not trying to throw water on your deal, just from personal experience.
    Ken F
    ken thanks for the advice, when you say dont get cought up trying to make a big heavy boat fast, what are we talking as far as fast go's, i would like to make the boat a little faster than stock, am i spining my wheels thinking i could make a 21' day crusier go 65 to 70 mph, hey smokin looks like your avi shows you have a day cruiser what speed are you running and what speed are you looking to go, thanks bergen.

Devilman
    I dunno. I been running my old mild truck motor for two seasons & been dying to build something stouter that would get my sled outta the 50's and back into the high 60's where it was when I bought it. And then I think of how, ever since I swapped this motor in on a spur of the moment type deal, I think of people that have boo-koo $$$ tied up in their mills so they can haul ass, but spent quite a bit of time broke down for some reason or another. Workin on 'em, tweakin 'em, etc... Maybe its just coincidence, but it sure is nice bein able to run whenever I want to, wherever I want to. I may not get there first, but I always get there & I always got the cold beer. :crossx:
    But I still been tossing the idea of building another motor around though. Just because... :rollside: That's just part of the sickness.

Ken F
    Bergen,
    Let me put it this way....I had an open bow 21' Omega and wanted the same as you. After lots of money, time & frustration I finally got it to 72.5
    This is after changing the pump, intake, doing a setback w/rideplate, new engine, ect. With all the money & time I spent I could have been going a lot faster with a boat which was meant to go faster in the first place.
    I'm not saying it can't be done but you have your work cut out for you!
    You are the only one who can make the decision, and if you really like/love this boat and it's one you want to keep forever...go for it.
    Devilmans last post is pretty much right on the money though. There's a lot to be said for a boat that is turnkey all summer for years in a row.
    Ken

bergen
    ok time out, i'm all for the turn key deal every day, ok maybe i over stated my objective, i am not looking for the fasted speed i can make this tug go,
    i was just wondering, lets just say 60 mph, is this a reachable goal, with out as you say a ton of money & time. thanks bergen

Devilman
    i would like to make the boat a little faster than stock
    I'm pretty sure this is one of those "urban legends".... LMAO, nobody is happy with "a little faster than stock", there's just no such thing! :rollside:
    Devilmans last post is pretty much right on the money though. There's a lot to be said for a boat that is turnkey all summer for years in a row.
    Ken
    Thanks Ken. My wife was in here reading over my shoulder. You agreeing with my post about building a new motor pretty much had the same affect as a Louisville Slugger on a baby seal's melon. Thanks, bro. LMAO!

Ken F
    LOL....See what you get for letting her read over your shoulder???
    In all reality, your ol worn out truck engine is bound to be on it's last legs anyway, so you are going to have to start sinking lots of money in keeping it running. Might as well build a new engine at this point.
    There....that better?

SmokinLowriderSS
    ken thanks for the advice, when you say dont get cought up trying to make a big heavy boat fast, what are we talking as far as fast go's, i would like to make the boat a little faster than stock, am i spining my wheels thinking i could make a 21' day crusier go 65 to 70 mph, hey smokin looks like your avi shows you have a day cruiser what speed are you running and what speed are you looking to go, thanks bergen.
    Nope, no daycruiser. 1978 Taylor SS, 18'6", but pretty heavy for an 18/19 footer. No good GPS'ings currently, here's what I know.
    72MPH, radared by dad, back when her hull was smooth, stock 454, 75HP Nitrous.
    58MPH GPS Spring '05, freshly built 454, mildly modded (cam/intake), good loader, still breaking her in. 58MPH @4600 RPM, 10 hrs on the engine. Spun 4800 by end of summer. Nitrous unused
    Re-did gel last winter but no GPS'ing available this past summer. Headers put her to 5,000 RPM, 400 honest HP, Berk "A" (Aggressor "B")

I may not get there first, but I always get there & I always got the cold beer. :crossx:
    Devil, you and me gotta go boating. We've got the same prioritys..

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm pretty sure this is one of those "urban legends".... LMAO, nobody is happy with "a little faster than stock", there's just no such thing! :rollside:
    That's the first stage of "The Disease", and "The Disease" is definitely no urban legend. :cry: :cry:

1fastlx
    my 78 taylor dc is 21 foot has a mild/weak 460 berk jg pump with AA impleller speedo shows 60 but closer to 55 by my friends comp ski boat. turning 4200rpms and seems like it will run forever (knock on wood) I agree with the rest of the folks here high speed is for other hulls but if you can live with 60 it may be reached with your budget. just double check your combo before shelling out cash for parts that will not push your boat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast