Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sand Cars

bohica
    Funco is still the best handling car for the sand IMHO. While the big V-8 cars with big travel numbers looks awesome, they just won't dune like a Funco with a Subie.
    We just had a little competition out in the dunes a couple of weeks ago. Almost all the major builders cars were represented, Funco, S/U, Tatum, Revenge, Sand Limo ect. Course was setup out in the dunes, and each driver took 2 timed laps. Take a guess who won, Chad George in a 2 seat Subie powered Funco Hustler. He not only won, but completely smoked the field by 4 seconds to the next closest finisher. 2nd place went to another Funco driven by his dad, Grant George.
    I shopped them all when I bought, and hands down the Funco was the best handling car for the sand. The customer support is 2nd to no one, and since there are so many owners in the dunes, should you ever break something, most likely you'll find someone that has what you need. I lost a power steering hose last year, word got out that I needed one, and the next morning a brand new one was sitting on my motoerhome steps. It's one big family.
    On a side note, most of the buggies you see being sold as dual purpose cars, wouldn't last a day in some serious pre-running. I know a guy that sold his Funco to buy a Racer. Took delivery of his new Racer and 2 trips later sold it to buy 2 new Funco's.

bohica
    Little video of race day.
    EPO (http://64.34.176.43/videos/redemption.wmv)

Craig
    How about Bourgets? Curious since they're made here in town also. So Tatum is good? Looks like it's about 2 miles from me, might be worth a stop down their shop. Sorry Charlie, not trying to hijack your thread. Just curious now that I've have seen the fun

bear down
    I would have to agree with Bohica, Funco's are the best duning cars out there and they just haul in the dunes and handle whoops with no problem. I love the Funco Hustler Series. I rode in a Sandrail Fabricators car this weekend (Nextasex car) and this care was AWESOME. LS6 motor and this thing jumps and goes over whoops with no stress. I would definitely recommend looking at this car if your looking for a Dual sport car. Another car that I loved was the BSE Cars which are out of Nevada, very beffy and dune friendly. Good Luck!

Blown Lavey
    ok... looking at a 4-5 seater, stock LS-1/ Mend 2d/ long travel/ usually sand, occasional pre-running....narrowed to these brands. I'm researching here and would sincerely appreciate edumacated opinions
    list In order ......Favorite to least
    Tatum
    Racer
    Suspensions Unlimited
    Amplified
    Funco
    Buckshot
    Extreme
    Tanks, Tanks alot!
    If you are truly serious about doing some fast pre running, it will be a short list.
    Porter
    Potter
    Revenge racing
    Alumi Craft.
    Pre running brings a whole new ball of wax in to the mix.
    Bigger shocks, plated lower arms, heavy duty trans, cooling system, air filtration system, etc.
    Do it right and spend the extra $$$ up front.

Racer277
    We had a very nice class 1 Penhall in our pits.
    He makes a stout prerunner also.

Ivan Dan
    If you are truly serious about doing some fast pre running, it will be a short list.
    Porter
    Potter
    Revenge racing
    Alumi Craft.
    Pre running brings a whole new ball of wax in to the mix.
    Bigger shocks, plated lower arms, heavy duty trans, cooling system, air filtration system, etc.
    Do it right and spend the extra $$$ up front.
    I agree but I would add these to the list:
    1) www.DuneBuggy.com (http://www.DuneBuggy.com)
    2) Kreger Fabrication (http://kregerfab.com/)
    3) www.penhallfab.com (http://www.penhallfab.com/)

MACH26
    I have a Funco Gen 4 w/ a subie. I've duned w/ Tatums, Extremes, Sandrail Mfg, and even a Funco w/ a V8. They all agree that my cars dunes and handles better. In my opinion, no completely dressed up sand car would be a good choice for desert enless you want to re-paint and re-powdercoat a lot. If you want a ride in my car Charley, you can meet us Pres. Day. I'll get you a ride in a Tatum, Funco V8, and a 20K Rhino also
    Javier

beach gomer
    Charley
    a friend of mine has a ALLSTAR car with a Cadilac motor with twin turbos.
    awsome car and its for sale.Look under www.glamisdunes.com and go to forms and look for buggies for sale awsome car.The car makes 523 HP to the rear wheels and 477 torque. SICK!!!!!!!!

Charley
    A buddy of mine just bought a 4 seat Lothringer LS1/S4 pre runner.... looked very nice also...I also entered the ORBA Alumicraft car giveaway... maybe I will just make this simple and end up with that one this Saturday haha

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast