Thread: nailhead powered v drive questions questions help

1967CAMPBELL
    new to the site and new to this old boat of mine. i have a 1967 17-ft campbell v drive, mahogony trim and oak top, powered by a 1967 buick 425 nailhead. i had a couple of questions reguarding my water line hook up and also the boat has not seen water for 10years, what should i do to the drive to get her in shape for the 400hp nailhead

HighVoltage 329
    Buick nailhead is a great classic motor. My Dad had one in a '66 Kindsvater. The water lines should come from the pick up to the water pump. Then into the motor at the two water pump inlets on the front of the motor. Out of the motor at the thermostat location and into the water log exaust manifolds.

Mr. V-Driver
    Should drain and refill Oil in V-Drive, whatever make it is! Probably should take it apart and check for wear and water damage! Just to be safe.

CircleJerk
    Buick nailhead is a great classic motor. My Dad had one in a '66 Kindsvater. The water lines should come from the pick up to the water pump. Then into the motor at the two water pump inlets on the front of the motor. Out of the motor at the thermostat location and into the water log exaust manifolds.
    My opinion; run the water from the pump TO the water logs first to pre heat the cooling to the block. This gives the closest cylinders a slight temperature lift and may effect overall cylinder wear. Most folks go to the front first to keep the coolest manifold temperature where the riders legs are. The jErKiZoId has spoken!

InKahntrol
    I agree with The Jerk. I always run water to the manifolds first, then through the motor, than finally out the back of the exhaust.
    Otherwise in many cases the motor will never warm up past about 100 degrees, especially if you run on cold lakes, and you can get condensation in the oil. Pre-warming the water helps the motor, and keeps the exhaust extra cool to avoid burned passengers.
    Dan

63stevens
    First off 66 was the last year that they built the nailhead. 67 was a completely different configuration. As for water thru the engine I run the water on my 63 stevens 401 from the pump into the engine at the side of the block and out the front of the heads. from there it goes into the exhaust pipes and out. If I had exhaust logs I would run the water thru them first and then into the engine like others have said just to pre heat the water.

Weaverman
    I'm with '63 Stevens. I have a 425 in my Glen-L Thunderbolt and run a similar configuration. Mine goes from pickup to pump, up to the v-drive, back to a Nicson "T" entering the bottom of the logs, out the top of the logs to the block sides (where the drains would be), then out of the heads into the risers. Works great. Using a Magnaflow cam-drive pump.

CampbellCarl
    How can we have gone this far in this thread without a PICTURE!
    Please post a few, would love to see a 67!
    Carl