Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adjusting cav plates

I want to check the plates for proper adjustment on my hondo runner bottom. How do I do this? The nose seems to stay in the water at wot with very little pressure on the pedal. I've never done this before, so a good discription would be appreciated.

DansBlown73Nordic
    I would also like to know the proper way to adjust them. Is it possible for the plates to not be flat all the way across. Another words maybe turn down on the outside edges?

I am in no way a master at adjusting plates, but I do believe I could give you some good advice...
    Find someone in your area that could go out, & help you do some testing. Everyone you will talk to about setting plates will give a different opinion on how to do it rite. In the long run it seems like everyone's opinion gets you to the same place, Essentially if you can find one person to get you started, then let the boat tell you what it wants, that's what I would recomend.
    Morg.
    [ February 04, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Morg ]

DansBlown73Nordic
    I may know more about this then I thought. That is exactly what I have done on my Stevens, but that has a fixed plate, the only adjustments are with a wrench.
    But on my new project I have the adjustable plate. I just thought there may be a good way to set it up close.

West Coast Dave
    We have a Sanger flat bottom w/ a split rear plate and the V-Drive gurus have told us the following to start out at. If you have a T Handle move it all the way forward and get it out of the equation all together. Thats for rough water etc. With no pressure on your foot override pedal, you can take a long straight edge down the bottom of your hull and the end of the plate should be somewhere between 1/8 & 1/16 of an inch above the straight edge. So when you are off the pedal the plate will be slightly up compared to the hull line. Hope this helps!!

Ian
    On our runner bottom we ran the outside plates straight off the back (so with a straight edge on the bottom of the boat there is no gap between the straight edge and the plates) on the center plate we ran it up between a 1/16 to an 1/8. That seemed to be a good starting point, if it still doesn't carry the bow you can start bringing the outside plates up, a little goes a long way so start buy bringing them up a couple flats at a time. I'm new to this so anyone who knows more and thinks I'm making a mistake please speak up

DansBlown73Nordic
    I think the key is very small turns. I use to crank the turnbuckle two or three turns. Then think thats know good. I finally learned to go very slow.

77charger
    on my bosses runner bottom it seemed to ride wet he then adjusted the plate upward quite a bit(5/16th of an inch) it really helped out alot with the speed.But with a new motor coming soon(more hp)They will need to be moved back down and start over again.I drive the boat and am new with flats and it felt safe to me didnt hop or feel unsafely aired out at speed.

schiada96
    Gunslngr there is a guy in newbury pk that can make flats go well. His name is Dennis send me a pm and I'll put you in touch with him.

ACCEPTENCE
    gunslinger:
    I want to check the plates for proper adjustment on my hondo runner bottom. How do I do this? The nose seems to stay in the water at wot with very little pressure on the pedal. I've never done this before, so a good discription would be appreciated. Ian has you pointed in the right direction. Small adjustments after that and you'll have a handle on it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast