Thread: Differences on using Bravo engine setup with an Aplha?

HTRDLNCN
    I have an Alpha setup with a 350, its a 90 270hp carbed Magnum with centerbolt vc that has been slightly tweaked for a bit more oomph with aftermarket manifolds and cam, I have the opputunity to pick up an almost new EFI 300hp 350 at a great price but the guy said it came from a Bravo setup.
    I like the idea of the efi (my carb/cam setup isnt the best at low idle/docking situations)and the fact it makes as much power stock as mine does tweaked.
    I would think the only difference is the coupler,rear mount and maybe hoses which could all be swapped over but I wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance!

LCexplorer
    I would strongly suggest getting a Merc factory manual for the engine you want to swap in because I am almost certain there will be wiring differneces in the way of an additional harness to be laid in for the EFi. There may be also a requirement in fueling line changes as well fo a return line. Off the top of my head the coupler will most likely fit as a standard Bravo and late Alpha shared the same spline count and diameter on input shafts. The rear mount/flywheel housing is the same between Bravo and Alpha drives, so no worries there. The cooling is a little different issue as the Bravo came with a belt driven sea water pump and the Alpha has the dinky drive mounted sea water pump. It may be as easy to switch the hoses from the alpha set up to the Bravo engine and remove the sea water pump but then you have to start messing with serpentine belt set up on the EFi motor. In my honest opinion not worth it. I would just plug the Alpha cooling port and remove the hose to the port and go with a sea water pick up through the bottom to the bravo sea water pump. This should also be beneficial for the EFi set up as well so that the operating temp. remaining stable no matter what the conditions. The one last worry which may be a big one is that Bravo engine never came with a shift interupt switch which An Alpha set up should have but i am not 100% sure. It will be something you will have to look into, again where the factory manual will come in handy. One more, shift cables may have to change as well as the hook up for a carb can be different than an EFi (unless it's a TBI based system). Anywyas food for thought ....

Red Horse
    Echo alot of what was said in the other post.
    Better off getting a Bravo drive to complete the engine set up.
    I have a feeling that this is going to be on of those things that would cost the same doing it right versus try to make it work. :boxed: