Thread: Help ***boat Gurus- Sonic 33' SE

powerplay230
    Hello All,
    I am trying to upgrade from my 23' Powerplay to something a little bigger and safer offshore. Have been looking in the 32-35' range and just came across what looks like a good deal on a 1986 Sonic 33' SE. It is a little older than I would have liked but looks to have been very well taken care of. Basics- twin 454/370s with TRS drives, 300 hrs on the clock, gel coat looks almost new (especially for the age). Not exactly what I was looking for but a good compromise with the wife seeing how it has a shower,head, and cruiseair.
    Can anyone tell me anything about how well the boats were made? What kind of performance to expect, etc....Owner claims a 52 mph cruise at 30 gallons an hour total, top speed 62 with 50 gal per hour.. Can anyone help with advise other than run from the TRS's and I should not expect the motors to have a long life...
    Thanks in advance,
    Rick

FASTERDAMITT
    I don't see alot of Powerplay's out here on the west coast. Try Offshoreonly.com there is info for Powerplay on thier site.

DMOORE
    I used to own a 32 Scarab with the 454 / TRS drive setup. The motors are pretty under stressed and will live a long life if cared for correctly. The TRS drives are strong and I recently found out that Konrad actually reproduces them, which may make parts easier to obtain. also BAM makes high performance gears for them. The TRS drive has a seperate transmission like a #6 drive does. There were two types used, the Mercruiser and a stronger Borge Warner. At stock power I don't think it would matter which one you had. My boat eventually ran 468's with almost 600hp and I never had a problem with the drives. It may be worth a call to Konrad and BAM to get more into on parts availability for the drives. Everything else for the motors are no problem. Hope this helps a bit.
    Darrell.

ECeptor
    The TRS drives are strong and I recently found out that Konrad actually reproduces them, which may make parts easier to obtain.
    Darrell.
    The direct TRS replacement is the Konrad 540.