Thread: single vs dual plane intake on turbo

Turboelimtim
    I'm currently running an edelbrock dual plane intake on my 460 ford w/about 10 psi boost turning a AA dominator impellor about 5200 RPM. Would a single plane vs dual plane make any difference? Thanks, Tim
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...T0042b-med.jpg

DMOORE
    I'm not an expert on turbos, but I would think that you would want the least amount of restriction in a turbo set up.
    Darrell.

BOOGEYMAN
    Short single planes work the best.

Marty Gras
    After all of the experts have spoken, I would like to add that your most important "tune up" problem is keeping the air and fuel mixed all thru the power band. Often (on draw thru systems) smooth transitions and large ports or large areas within the intake system cause the heavy fuel to fall out of the air stream and onto the floors of the ports, intake manifold, and pressure tubes. Most intercoolers create, velocity, back pressure, turbulence, and help keep the wet fuel suspended. Waste gate systems (done correctly) tend to suffer less problems in this area because they keep the intake velocity higher across the RPM range. TUNE UP (A/F ratio and spark) is more important than TRICK PARTS.

Turboelimtim
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    Marty Gras,
    Are you implying that the extra lengths and turns associated with the dual plane intake add to the problem of fuel dropping out of suspension? Or are you saying the manifold doesn't really matter when compared to the spark and A/F? I have measured the A/F with a wideband sensor and it is rich (~11 to 1) when the secondaries are open (basically from 4500 RPM no boost thru 5200 10 psi boost. I'm running an 850 mech secondary with 76's in the primary w/boost referenced PV (enlarged channel restrictions) and 83's in the secondaries with the PVblocked off. Maybe I need to remove the enlarged CR's to lean it out some more and retest. I have the timing set at 36 deg full advance after 3000 RPM and 6 deg retard when boost exceeds 7 psi. Tim

BOOGEYMAN
    Draw through or blow through???

Turboelimtim
    Draw through