Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What did I do wrong?

DUCKY
    When I changed gears, I assembled it according to a very old, and very poor line drawing I had from Casale. I would not have thought that I could screw up an assembly with only 4 pieces, but I did. I put in the bottom gear, then the top one, and slid the splined collars over the shafts (thick one on bottom, and thnner one on top), then put the case back on and reinstalled the bearing. Does this shound right so far? Well, it spun over by hand nicely, so I though it was good. As soon as a put it in forward, It made a God awful grinding/whining noise, but it was quiet in reverse. I pulled it apart, and the bottom gear had driven itself into the rear case. So I thought the bottom gear was supposed to have the spacer behind it to to put the thrust load on the bearing this. I tried that, and every thing looked good, and spun freely. Then I put the case back on, and it would barely turn, and was REALLY REALLY noisy. So, I guess my question here is #1, are right hand and left hand gears really different, and if they are not, where did I go wrong?
    Thanks in advance!

cal***boat
    DUCKY:
    When I changed gears, I assembled it according to a very old, and very poor line drawing I had from Casale. I would not have thought that I could screw up an assembly with only 4 pieces, but I did. I put in the bottom gear, then the top one, and slid the splined collars over the shafts (thick one on bottom, and thnner one on top), then put the case back on and reinstalled the bearing. Does this shound right so far? Well, it spun over by hand nicely, so I though it was good. As soon as a put it in forward, It made a God awful grinding/whining noise, but it was quiet in reverse. I pulled it apart, and the bottom gear had driven itself into the rear case. So I thought the bottom gear was supposed to have the spacer behind it to to put the thrust load on the bearing this. I tried that, and every thing looked good, and spun freely. Then I put the case back on, and it would barely turn, and was REALLY REALLY noisy. So, I guess my question here is #1, are right hand and left hand gears really different, and if they are not, where did I go wrong?
    Thanks in advance! GET HOLD OF TOM BENTLEY @ MENKENS I'AM SURE HE COULD HELP OUT OUT.
    See the above banner ad

Casale boxes are a bit bogus in that no 2 ever seem to be the same. That said, different gear ratios can require different spacers. Spacer thickness is used to space the gears and there's a million (it seems like) different thicknesses. If you made a substantial gear change this may be what's occuring. Good advice above, call Tom.

DUCKY
    I was afraid of that. I went from 1.12's to 1.37's That's a pretty big jump, eh? I don't think I am keeping the 37's though. I think I am going down to 22's for now, then up to 29's when I get them.
    I gotta use what's available...

I think you have to cut the water jacket out for that big gear if you haven't.
    [ June 30, 2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Hud ]

Flat 70
    Tom, or any on else that knows...What is the correct procedure for measuring collars(gear spacers)in a casale 12deg. ???I went from 22
    to 29 haven't driven boat yet..have about.003 backlash turns smooth by hand ... Did not want to run into same problem as prev. post did..Thanks...

I've only done 6 or 7 gearboxes but I've used just gear lash to set it up and used the high side spec. I'd rather hear a little noise all the time than to hear the big bang once.

FLYTE RISK
    058:
    I've only done 6 or 7 gearboxes but I've used just gear lash to set it up and used the high side spec. I'd rather hear a little noise all the time than to hear the big bang once. Well are'nt you used to hearing the big bang in those FORD MOTORS BOB? Whats a gear box? Build a BOWTIE no big bang theory with them! wink

DUCKY
    Hud:
    I think you have to cut the water jacket out for that big gear if you haven't. 1.37's are the largest that you can use without cutting the water jacket out. Top gear is really close, but it doesn't hit.

beaverfab
    Ducky sent you a P.M j.j.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast