Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: need opinion

shippingguy
    ADVANTAGE ADAM,
    Have you looked into the IMCO 1000 drive setup? It may be more comperable to the NXT drive . I do not know the pricing, but the Teague 800 with this drive may be a real alternative for you. Merc has great products, but there are better values out there.
    Darrell.
    Those two drives are not comparable. The NXT is a baby #6 and has a tranny if I am not mistaken. I also have heard from a very reliable source that does many water tests if not all for Eliminator that the Imco 1000 with the same power runs slower than the Imco SC and said not to spend the money to just go with the Imco SC not the 1000. That is if you are looking at Imco drives.

Advantage Adam
    Those two drives are not comparable. The NXT is a baby #6 and has a tranny if I am not mistaken. I also have heard from a very reliable source that does many water tests if not all for Eliminator that the Imco 1000 with the same power runs slower than the Imco SC and said not to spend the money to just go with the Imco SC not the 1000. That is if you are looking at Imco drives.
    I like the nxt drive. My thoughts are I will have fewer problems w/ that drive over a TCM or IMCO. THough I am not sure that I want to spend the money on an engine that has 700hp when there are others that put out more HP and less money.
    I appreciate everyones input. My next call will be to Magic to see if there will be and problems fitting that drive under the swim step.
    AP

shippingguy
    I like the nxt drive. My thoughts are I will have fewer problems w/ that drive over a TCM or IMCO. THough I am not sure that I want to spend the money on an engine that has 700hp when there are others that put out more HP and less money.
    I appreciate everyones input. My next call will be to Magic to see if there will be and problems fitting that drive under the swim step.
    AP
    It all depends on how you drive the boat. If you abuse the drive you will have problems no doubt. If you respect it and maintain it you will be fine. What steered me a away from the 700 package is that with the NXT drive it is ALOT heavier package and also I have not been very impressed with the Merc 600 and the 700 is really not much different. It runs a taller intercooler. I think it is 3/4-1 inch taller. Keep us posted.

Advantage Adam
    It all depends on how you drive the boat. If you abuse the drive you will have problems no doubt. If you respect it and maintain it you will be fine. What steered me a away from the 700 package is that with the NXT drive it is ALOT heavier package and also I have not been very impressed with the Merc 600 and the 700 is really not much different. It runs a taller intercooler. I think it is 3/4-1 inch taller. Keep us posted.
    will do...

DMOORE
    I guess I should have clarified my statement better. In terms of comparability of the 1000 and NXT, I was actually refering to horsepower and speed capability. The benifit of the 1000 would be, I believe, weight ( don't know exact weight). As far as the speed benefit of the SC over the 1000, that makes sense. Most times when your pushing larger hardware, gears and such, you'll get more parasitic loss.The flip side of that, is the reliability of the 1000. And like I said, I have no idea what those new drives are running. That may be a deciding factor.
    Darrell.

shippingguy
    I guess I should have clarified my statement better. In terms of comparability of the 1000 and NXT, I was actually refering to horsepower and speed capability. The benifit of the 1000 would be, I believe, weight ( don't know exact weight). As far as the speed benefit of the SC over the 1000, that makes sense. Most times when your pushing larger hardware, gears and such, you'll get more parasitic loss.The flip side of that, is the reliability of the 1000. And like I said, I have no idea what those new drives are running. That may be a deciding factor.
    Darrell.
    I agree...

SnakeWrench
    I was going to mention that, but you did it first. The 1000 is very difficult to set up in a single application. I would look into the Teague deal. Teague still has the 720 that got well over 100 with our cat.

shippingguy
    I was going to mention that, but you did it first. The 1000 is very difficult to set up in a single application. I would look into the Teague deal. Teague still has the 720 that got well over 100 with our cat.
    Great minds think alike :rollside: I went with the Teague package on mine. Should be on the water next week. That is great performance out of the 720.

DAVID
    I am a current magic deckboat owner and I am looking at getting a newer 28' deck w/ bigger power. I want to get the mercury 700 sci. I wanted to get opinions and feedback on the setup and if anyone has any first hand experience w/ the motor.
    I understand that there are motors that cost less and have more power w/ the same reliability. I am just doing some homework on this particular motor for now.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...
    AP
    We at Semper have a Fundeck going into production now with a 700.

Advantage Adam
    We at Semper have a Fundeck going into production now with a 700.
    Keep me posted on the results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123