Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing the Sanger

blown428fe
    I can share what a friend of mine does with his, 5 gallon bucket of antifreeze, drop a bilge pump in it & run the bilge hose into the hose that feeds the engine, pump it through that way. Shuts the valve off that controls the header water , btw..... Don't take but a few minutes he said, to run it till you got antifreeze running out the overboard dump line....
    Not sure about the pump itself though, never heard anything about that. :rollside:
    He also unhooks the fitting on the headers wher the injection lines tie together & just lets them hang. They'll dry out on their own....
    Did this today, bilge pump and 5 gal. bucket. Definitly the way to go.

Dominator Scott
    Did this today, bilge pump and 5 gal. bucket. Definitly the way to go.
    That method sounds super easy and efficient. But the T-valve to my headers cannot be shut off. It is a spring and checkball style t-valve from Rewarder Custom Headers that opens by water pressure. It is closed at an idle but after about 1500RPM's it starts to open when water pressure increases. Could I still use this method of winterizing and not worry about the t-valve or the headers?

Devilman
    That method sounds super easy and efficient. But the T-valve to my headers cannot be shut off. It is a spring and checkball style t-valve from Rewarder Custom Headers that opens by water pressure. It is closed at an idle but after about 1500RPM's it starts to open when water pressure increases. Could I still use this method of winterizing and not worry about the t-valve or the headers?
    I don't see why not. Surely a bilge pump doesn't put out enough pressure to overcome the T-valve?

Dominator Scott
    I don't see why not. Surely a bilge pump doesn't put out enough pressure to overcome the T-valve?
    That was my thinkin' also. Just wanted a 2nd opinion.

Devilman
    That was my thinkin' also. Just wanted a 2nd opinion.
    I would say "don't quote me on that" but its too late.
    Seriously, I wouldn't think a bilge pump would have enough pressure to open the T-valve, though. It should be fine.
    Put it this way, if it ain't right, I'm sure somebody will be sure to get in there with the correct answer. :rollside:

oldbuck40
    I would say "don't quote me on that" but its too late.
    Seriously, I wouldn't think a bilge pump would have enough pressure to open the T-valve, though. It should be fine.
    Put it this way, if it ain't right, I'm sure somebody will be sure to get in there with the correct answer. :rollside:i knew i would find you here D-man! lol the one thing you guys are missin out on by not useing antifreeze is the protection it gives your aluminum intakes,and logs if you have them! D-Man can tell ya how bad the corrosion is on aluminum from just the straight water/minerals being on the alum. i ran a (NEW) alum intake for 2 months and replaced it with a different one,,,i was shocked at how little time 2 months it took for the water to eat away at the aluminum!

oldbuck40
    That method sounds super easy and efficient. But the T-valve to my headers cannot be shut off. It is a spring and checkball style t-valve from Rewarder Custom Headers that opens by water pressure. It is closed at an idle but after about 1500RPM's it starts to open when water pressure increases. Could I still use this method of winterizing and not worry about the t-valve or the headers?yes it will work fine! i unhook the lines to the headers as D-man said,,after i flush with anti freeze,and nothing but water comes out,,so i know the spring will hold it.

Dominator Scott
    yes it will work fine! i unhook the lines to the headers as D-man said,,after i flush with anti freeze,and nothing but water comes out,,so i know the spring will hold it.
    Are you talking about unhooking the lines where they connect to the header itself or just from the hose that feeds the header lines? Should this be done before I winterize it or after?
    I bought the headers used so I don't know if the lines will come off the headers without breaking and don't want to find out the hard way. :yuk:

oldbuck40
    Are you talking about unhooking the lines where they connect to the header itself or just from the hose that feeds the header lines? Should this be done before I winterize it or after?
    I bought the headers used so I don't know if the lines will come off the headers without breaking and don't want to find out the hard way. :yuk:i unhook the hoses at the fitting on the header! and i do it afterward. also somthing i didnt think about,,the small lines to each header it wouldnt hurt to blow them out just in case a little water was left in the small lines. just my.02

Dominator Scott
    i unhook the hoses at the fitting on the header! and i do it afterward. also somthing i didnt think about,,the small lines to each header it wouldnt hurt to blow them out just in case a little water was left in the small lines. just my.02
    I thought about that last night. Hitting them with the compressor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast