Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravely

HOSS
    I just picked up this Gravely unit that I want to make into a trailer mover. Any pics out there from people who have made these mobil boat movers?
    Model L
    Serial # SR12748
    Manufacturing Number E-17097
    It has a huge axle and pto, chain driven.
    Thanks
    James

HOSS
    Found out it has a studabaker motor, 7hp.

Pics.....we need pics!!!

HOSS
    Will do tomorrow. Camera at house.

HOSS
    Its either a 1945 or a 1961 model. Should make one hell of a trailer dolly.

Jim W
    Laugh all ya want but this thing moves hundreds of boats for me each year.
    Jeep CJ 5 made into a trailer mover. 2 balls up front and the one in the rear. Both front and rear work with hyd. controls. I dont leave the drivers seat.
    The front ball closer to the driver can be swapped from left to right side. This allows me to "sight down" the side of a boat while I place a moving boat next to a parked boat. I usually allow 1" between boats for storage.
    If I was going to do it again, I would build something with a 2 cyl. engine running a hyd pump and driving the front wheels. A 2 stick control like a zero turn lawn mower controling the front wheels would give you zero turn and the engine in the back would act as a counter-balance. Ive actually thought of producing these things for the marine market but the liability scares me.
    Be good, Jim

TollyWally
    I grew up with one of those and a few years back bought one. For Lawn equipment they are extremely hardcore. Is yours electric start? The reason I ask is that I don't believe they are chain drive. What I think you might be seeing is the chain drive that goes from the electric starter around a big toothed sprocket. The one we had as a kid was electric start. The one I have now is pull start. You wrap a strap around the flywheel like thing on the ass end of the moter and pull like hell. Really old school! Mine is loud as hell, the neighbors hate it(me, )

Norseman
    Laugh all ya want but this thing moves hundreds of boats for me each year.
    Jeep CJ 5 made into a trailer mover. 2 balls up front and the one in the rear. Both front and rear work with hyd. controls. I dont leave the drivers seat.
    The front ball closer to the driver can be swapped from left to right side. This allows me to "sight down" the side of a boat while I place a moving boat next to a parked boat. I usually allow 1" between boats for storage.
    If I was going to do it again, I would build something with a 2 cyl. engine running a hyd pump and driving the front wheels. A 2 stick control like a zero turn lawn mower controling the front wheels would give you zero turn and the engine in the back would act as a counter-balance. Ive actually thought of producing these things for the marine market but the liability scares me.
    Be good, Jim
    A friend of mine has what he calls a sidewinder. It's a midframe mounted front wheel drive V6 mounted with the transaxle running long ways in the chassis, each axle shaft is connected to a 4WD jeep front end, one in the front and one at the rear of the chassis. Both axles are steered with a hydraulic setup controlled by 2 joy sticks. He built it to move cars and trucks around his parking lot. He owned a transmission shop for 50 years, and liked to tinker.
    Damn thing will turn on a dime and move a bus.

HOSS
    I grew up with one of those and a few years back bought one. For Lawn equipment they are extremely hardcore. Is yours electric start? The reason I ask is that I don't believe they are chain drive. What I think you might be seeing is the chain drive that goes from the electric starter around a big toothed sprocket. The one we had as a kid was electric start. The one I have now is pull start. You wrap a strap around the flywheel like thing on the ass end of the moter and pull like hell. Really old school! Mine is loud as hell, the neighbors hate it(me, )
    Yeah, its electric start,,the starter is chain driven,,this thing is amule and a half. All axle and pto housing, its insane.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Here's a website, looks like a lot of info:
    Gravely Model L Info (http://gravelyinfo.com/weblink/view/5/2)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast