Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SE Class

gnRacer98
    So what is happening with this new class?
    Parker is only 6 weeks away and the first race of the new season, is this class ready to run?

WannabeRacing
    No, the class is not ready to run. The APBA is going over the re-re-revised engine specs. It seems that the $4000 engines are looking to be more money each time they ask for engine revisions. There are boats ready to run, but what the engine specs will be are the question here. According to the powers that be, we should see final engine specs hit the floor by the end of October. Until then, there are just small block boats, and nostalgia boats with re-re-revised engines sitting between the stringers for right now. Until the APBA says O.K. From that point, a few little changes, and SE letters will find their way to the sides of these pigs.
    There is a good chance that the 07' season will be run as an exibition class. In my opinion, it is just a little too late to have it for a real deal. But we shall see.
    I am the stupid one here. I have my boat upside down, waiting for the final rules approval to determine where I will put the strut. I wanted to be running at Firebird, but no chance now. Can't put the strut in until I get the word from APBA on the engine specs. They could be 460 horse small blocks, or 760 horsepower. Can't place the strut until I know.
    I am losing patience

lilrick
    what is the class John? SE?

rossdbos
    Gentlemen:
    With the success of the Nostalgia classes (Flat and Endurance) and virtually no room left in the schedule (at least at SCSC/RPM events) due to the over 90 boats /race we are achieving, where in our region of APBA is this class going to be run? I told Jeff Wooton that while I like the idea of bringing back the SE class, SCSC/RPM races are already full to capacity. I am already looking into possbily running two separate weekends of racing - one for the "Professional" classes (ie: SS, PS, K, GNRA, Crackers,WFLS) and one for the "Novice/Amatuer" classes- Nostalgia Flat, Endurance, Stock Outboard, Etc. If this happens then the SE class would fit in just fine but don't count on it for 07, until that time, there isn't enough time in the day to run all those classes. Don't anyone take it the wrong way, but do we really need more classes?
    I am also just wondering how to fit everything in?
    Suggestions?
    Ross Wallach, SCSC/RPM RACING ENT.

superdave013
    Ross, I'd thing that's a no brainer. Dump those speed limit classes for a real race class. Not knocking the Nostalgia guys at all.

WannabeRacing
    You have a great point.
    What was initially designed to do is work in place of what the nostalgia class is doing. Giving a spot for those that want to race, but don't want to spend SuperStock money to do it. Slow enough that APBA does not want capsules, get the old boats running again, get the old drivers running again, and in a class that was slow enough to be safe, but close enough to be fun and be a crowd pleaser. Great place for a new driver/ team to start. A class that the spectators could relate to, and understand, rather than have a five minute explanation before every heat about speed limits, and how this class is totally different, and how it works. But whatever works for them. . .
    The original rules were a bit restrictive, but would have made for a really cool place for any old engine builder to run with the crowd, and any old boat to be fairly competitive. No room for expensive machining, super trick parts, and big rpms. If they allow the rules like they may, where big dollar parts, big dollar builders and tons of rpms are king, then there is no reason to have this class. None. It will be dead before it hits the water.
    I guess we just wait to see. My #2 hull is still upside down waiting for an announcement, and the #1 is sitting in the garage, bare, waiting as well.

rossdbos
    The beauty of the Nostalgia deal is that ANYONE can bring what they got, blown, unblown, injected, BB, small block, etc. and slap a GPS on it and try their hand at racing. They already own the boat, so with almost no additional money involved they can "test" the waters. It is also the reason why the flat classes are growing and the GN's have 2- 3 new driver's next year. Guys that were conteplating racing got to see if they 1.) had what it takes 2.) didn't kill themselves financially.
    Now, take a restrictive class, spec, even limited $/motor class and I guarrantee that it alienates more than half the perspective people interested in seeing if they want to "try" to race. Why spend the money for a spec class and purpose built boat if you don't know if you really want to race?
    Some people like the 80 mph as a comfort zone to "test the waters" and then after a few races decide that 80 mph is too restictive and then commit to either PS, SS, GN, etc. Others that race it still enjoy the 80 mph and will continue to do so. So in essance we have a "beginner" class that A.) isn't restrictive -financially or otherwise and B.) is used as a "spring board" to faster "Restricted" classes.
    Again, It's not that I don't like the idea of SE but find me more hours in the day to run all those classes? Also, how many SE boats are committed thus far in "theory" if this became a real class? This also helps in making decisions.
    Thanks,
    Ross Wallach, RPM RACING ENT.

WannabeRacing
    I only know of 14 boats for sure when the SE becomes a real deal. 9 that are riding the fence, and about a dozen lookie-looos. A bit light, true.
    Don't know how many may come out when they see the class. Or how many retired SS boats may find a small block.
    But you are right. When you need a few extra heats to get your k boat, or your pro stock boat figured out, they can run in the nostalgia where they could not in the SE. I am sure very few SE runners would mind a slightly illegal boat, but no blown alcohol big chiefs.

rossdbos
    So, if I am to understand you, 14 boats "for sure" and 9 more that are on the fence? Are these 14 boats nationwide, or in the Western U.S., etc.? How many realistically would show up at say Bakersfield or Parker event? I am trying to gauge and weigh some things.
    The Nostalgia thing works regardless of opinion, needless to say that those who seem to oppose it or don't like it don't race anything anyway so what is the difference? Also, I am inclined not to mess with success. If and when there aren't enough boats to support the Nostalgia Flat's and Endurance classes (ala the Nostalgia Jet class) I will then entertain a viable SE class.
    One last note, if SS is too expensive and I know that for "new" racers it is, why not Pro Stock? Is it motor cost or speed? How fast do you think a SE will average- 80, 85, ...90? I can tell you one thing the average lap speeds and straightaway speeds that the current SS, PS and K aren't as fast as one is led to believe!
    Thanks,
    Ross Wallach, RPM RACING ENT.

WannabeRacing
    Those numbers are nation wide. Many are in the west. Either far northwest or far southwest.
    You cannot try to make everyone happy. Ya just have to make a decision and run with it. Trying to make everyone happy is how to make no one happy. If you choose that SE is a no go. Then so be it. And don't put much weight to somone who is not a racer of that class, or a sponsor. You do what is good for you.
    Why not PS? Because of speed and safety. I have the parts right now to run pro stock for the rest of my life and not run out. Too many dead friends. Too many friends with serious lifelong injuries. We have had SE boats run this year. One was a 71 year old guy. His boat runs 80 wide open. He would not be coming back if it was not for competition at safe speeds, and safe costs. Five of the SE boats for next year are retired APBA racers. A boat that would hit 88-92 on a kilo run (Our best estimation off of a perfect boat with the first engine rules) is fairly safe in a short course. At least I think that is fairly safe.
    Hey, if it works out for the SE, then great. If not, I have a small block, carbon fiber Biesemeyer ski boat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast