Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Racing mods

Fired Up
    At what point would you consider just replacing the underwater hardware just due to time and fatigue. Two factors that are not necessarily apparent. What is the cost of a new rudder 100.00? A new strut 100.00? I don't know exactly. My naive opinion would think thats cheap peace of mind. I'm going to do it to my boat. It spent several years as a blown gasser then seven years as a top eliminator.

boat030
    a new strut is actually pretty expensive, however i think it is still worth at least considering replacement or talk to costello about cryo treating it. I've seen a strut break before it is not pretty you might think you are not going fast enough to worry about it but the last strut i saw break was on a 9 sec. bracket boat the guy was lucky not to go in the drink

superdave013
    I bought a new strut a few years ago from Barber Welding. I can't remember what I paid but it was the out of line. It came with the cert also. I can get their # when I get home if you need it. They also make struts too.

WILDERTHANU
    barber welding att: "lance" (562) 928-2570

Costello
    Thank you for the plug 030 http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif, BUT we have decided against treating any used props or struts. Liability is too high in that area of the boat, as we just do not know to what extent the piece is already compromised. We are happy to treat new equipment for someone when we run a batch. 058, as I understand it at one time the chrome stuff was OK as long as it had been normalized and re-heat treated, but then how was a racer really going to prove it had been re-heat treated? Too much hassle for tech people. Yes the chrome would also hide any small developing cracks and make detection difficult.
    [This message has been edited by Costello (edited February 20, 2002).]

Costello, wouldn't the heat treatment blue the chrome? I know I would be pissed if I spent the money to have something plated just to have it turned blue from heat treating.

DetroitJim
    Spoke to some shops, apparently irridite coating is legit for tech. I have my strut and prop over at the plater for stripping, then I'm taking them to work and crack checking with dye penetrant. Marine Machine here in Detroit can make a stainless strut, they do all the APBA hydros that way but s.s. might not fly for a drag boat. I also have an Aquamet 22 prop shaft coming, whirlaway, locking shifter, new rudder stuffing box and a new rudder with no chrome. So far this gig is costing me almost 2000 bucks, should have started fresh with a race built boat.
    DJ

boat030
    DJ, if you get this done for two thousand dollars you will be getting into racing cheaper than anyone i know. Do you know how to make a small fortune in racing? Start with a large one.

Costello
    058, quite possibly so, haven't tried it myself. Perhaps a re-temper is all it requires, this is just my second or third hand understanding of what transpired some time back with the whole plating issue in drag racing. Jim most of the struts are at least 4130 or better yet 4340. Heat treated 4340 holds up to the stresses of Top Fuel, that's what you want. Barber can make you a good one or you can also call Wayne Mettler formerly of Canyon Boats 970-256-7299. Tell him Gary from California Cryo Treating sent you and tell him what you need. He can build you a good strut for a flat. Wayne started racing flats in 1966 as I recall and he built and rigged the IHBA PGF and TAF Championship boats of 2001.

DetroitJim
    It's scary when I add it up:
    Boat 6000
    Misc 1000
    First BBC 4000
    Redo BBC 1000
    Blower 3400
    Big Bang #1 800
    Big Bang #2 1800
    Merlin II 1600
    Internals 2500
    Dart 325's 2000
    Chiller 1200
    Spare block 600
    Plus some more, call it 25,000 or so, what the hell life is short.
    DJ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast