Thread: 20 ft. tunnel jet to v-drive

badbug
    can you convert a tunnel jet to a v-drive for 120 plus speeds? I saw a 21 ft cougar kick major ass at lake whitney this october and it seems so efficient.. It was running 134 mph quarter .. He made it look easy.. Excellent handling.. Never saw him get out of the throttle once he hammered it. About 14 runs in one weekend.I wonder wha t the cost would be if you coud do it?

Kindsvater Flat
    Stay here long enough and the owner of that boat will reply!!!!

Infomaniac
    Gary,
    I did reply to your PM. Check your in box. The Cougar is 19' rather than 21.
    Tough to convert a jet tunnel to v-drive. The center sponson (keel) must be above the level of the outer sponsons or it will get up on the center and be unstable. If you are capable of this type of mod I will be glad to give you some measurements.
    Did someone have a radar gun there?
    I have been waiting for another debate on the subject of v-drive tunnels not working. Have had a few of them in the past.
    Oh yea: The Cougar can be yours (or anyone else)for 15K minus engine all hardware included.
    [ October 17, 2002, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Unchained
    A friend in the Mi. Hot Boat Assn. has a 21' cougar tunnel Vdrive that was originally a jet hull. [img]http://www.michigan***boats.com/images/houghton10.jpg[/img]
    I drove the boat in the spring and was real impressed. The boat handled great and had tremendous performance. Still had no reverse and had to be started in gear though.

RCM
    Here`s my 2 cents, in 96 I built a 19 ft tunnel from a mold that belongs to a friend in east Tenn. I think the mold was an older Nordic or maybe an Eliminator. I set the boat up almost exactly like I set up a flat, I didn`t use a real hot motor but I was amazed at how well it performed, it handled rough water very well and it didn`t porpoise any regardless of the plate position. I would say that anyone who is considering a v drive setup in a tunnel, go for it, you won`t be disappointed. RCM

superdave013
    Unchained:
    A friend in the Mi. Hot Boat Assn. has a 21' cougar tunnel Vdrive that was originally a jet hull. I drove the boat in the spring and was real impressed. The boat handled great and had tremendous performance. Still had no reverse and had to be started in gear though.Uh, Unchained, are you feeling ok??
    Sounds like he needs a trans and will have the all around package.

Unchained
    superdave013
    Uh, Unchained, are you feeling ok??
    Sounds like he needs a trans and will have the all around package.[/QB]Dave, I wasn't looking at his boat to buy it. He just wanted me to check out the vdrive handling and performance which was impressive. Although, I told him if he ever wanted to sell.........
    His boat had two back seats, A lot of interior room and a lot of freeboard. It wasn't nearly as basic of a machine as a flatbottom or hydro. Handled choppy water real good, better than my 19' tunnel jet. I never ran my jet against it but I think I could beat it to 100 mph but the Cougar tops out at 116 mph and I don't know if the jet goes that fast.
    He had a trolling motor mounted just above the cav plate and used it to manuver around the docks with. I think he has a linkage connecting it to the rudder. One thing he was stumped on was making the engine quieter. He had a couple big mufflers clamped on. He really liked my exhaust downspouts. I think he is going to make a set.
    Mark