Thread: oil temp

RCM
    What is the normal oil temperature of a bbc operating at cruising speed? My oil only gets to around 165 degrees without water passing thru the cooler, with water passing thru it around 140. Is this about right? I`m running a vdrive with a turbo trans in a 21 ft. hull. RCM

Highlimit9000
    Sounds a little cold to me...whats everyone else think? What does it climb to under a load for a while?

Moneypitt
    First question: What is the capacity of the pan? More oil= cooler oil, but even at 10 qts that seems a little on the cool side. Next time out I'll note my temp (oil)w/ 10 qt. pan..Moneypitt

MikeF
    I run the engine from 120-140+ temp. While cruising my oil temp is @ 210*. I use a infrared temp gun aimed at the oil filter for the reading. Should be fairly accurate. I run 9 quarts in the oiling system (no cooler). Oh yeah, It's a jet boat .

LVjetboy
    MikeF, are your sure your water's not too cold?
    j/k
    I "think" oil running continually at 165 and below is less than ideal. I "think" a good range for oil is 190-220. Helps cook-off contaminants and moisture quicker? But then, only a guess.
    I don't buy the extra 4 quarts keeps oil cooler thingy, although I think I heard 10 guys say that.

Sure there'll be a little more oil pan surface area to dissipate heat, and the oil will spend a little more time in that pan dissipating heat. But I'd be surprised if the extra volume makes a significant difference (say 10 degrees or more) in oil temperature during steady state conditions. Consider that a typical oil pan makes a very poor oil to (mostly stagnant) air heat exchanger. Transient temperature, yes, both slower to heat up and slower to cool down. But steady state? As in cruising to the sand bar?
    At steady state, for a given engine loading, I'm thinking heat transfer from the oil to the block and cooling water is the dominant driver of oil temperature, not the relatively small (~25%) increase in oil pan surface area needed to contain that 4 extra quarts. But this only a guess too.
    jer
    [ June 29, 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

My preference for oil temp is in the 210-240 range running hard. 260-270 tops. Run good quality oil too. Anything under 200 is too cold IMO for max lubricating and like jer says to burn of contaminants and condensation effeciently. Under 200 may run just fine I'm just stating what I feel is optimum.

fastvdriver
    I like the 200 mark seems to run good and have never had any problems I run a oil cooler to preheat the water going to the block. the oil seems to run just 20 degrees more than the motor. That was the old motor will see what the new one does, good luck

RCM
    Since I`ve took the cooler out of the system and still not getting enough heat it would have to be the temp gauge or the sender, does this seem like a sensible thought? RCM