Thread: Torque Converters?

Wizard29
    Anybody know if a Chevy TH350 torque converter is interchangeable with a TH400 converter? I believe they are, but I'm not sure. Right now I have the TH350 trans, but when it blows (and it will), I will install a TH400.
    Also, I'm going to be dropping a blown 632 into a car that weighs about 4000 pounds. I want the car to be streetable, but perfect manners aren't required. Looking for a good light-to-light type of car that can still cruise well.
    I'm looking at the B&M Nitrous Holeshot 2400 stall. Any recommendations on a good stall speed?

wsuwrhr
    I am not the Chevy expert, but I did take a TH400 from a big block car and put it in a small block car.
    Brian
    Anybody know if a Chevy TH350 torque converter is interchangeable with a TH400 converter? I believe they are, but I'm not sure. Right now I have the TH350 trans, but when it blows (and it will), I will install a TH400.
    Also, I'm going to be dropping a blown 632 into a car that weighs about 4000 pounds. I want the car to be streetable, but perfect manners aren't required. Looking for a good light-to-light type of car that can still cruise well.
    I'm looking at the B&M Nitrous Holeshot 2400 stall. Any recommendations on a good stall speed?

wsuwrhr
    You might want to put this post in the gearheads section.
    Brian

Cheap Thrills
    TH-350 & 400 are basicly the same some have 10.5'' Bolt Circle some have 11.5''.
    There are several aftermarket converters that have both bolt patterns.
    C.T. :wink:

deltaAce
    Your cam profile will be a large determining factor in the proper selection of stall speed.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yes, you can put a TH350 torque converter in front of a TH400 trany, and it raises the stall speed a few hundred RPM as well. I've run it, years ago, no problems.
    Your problem is this: Blow up the 350 with the big motor, then re-use the 350 TC, and all the metal crap washed into the TC by the failing TH350, is inside, being fed to your TH400, NOT a good idea.
    Put a GOOD transmission cooler on, and DO use the cooler in the radiator as well.
    Idiot kid co-worker of mine back in '85 burned up at least 3 race-shop built Pontiac TH400's by running a high-stall speed converter and runnin g an aftermarket cooler (for the 2nd and 3rd tranys) but bypassing the radiator hookups. Kept cooking them, about every 2 months. I THINK he was running like 2500 RPM stall speed tho too, in a street car. No, his Pontiac 400 wasn't built to need to idle 1500RPM either, he just thought it made it faster.