Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cavitation plate

v-drive
    Ok my cavitation plate has always looked like aluminum that has been in the weather.so now that I'm finishing the boat I thought ok now polish the cav plate. I started with some fine scotchbrite to break the oxidation loose but nothing I mean nothing. A little smoother is all.
    does anyone have some experiance with this. Thanks.......... v-drive
    [ July 16, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: v-drive ]

superdave013
    Send it out to a polisher. I used to polish my own stuff and still do some small stuff.
    It would not be that much to have then re polish those plates compared to what it would take you to do it with out the right equipment.

WILDERTHANU54
    ......MAKE SURE ITS NOT ANODIZED FIRST OFF

GofastRacer
    v-drive:
    Ok my cavitation plate has always looked like aluminum that has been in the weather.so now that I'm finishing the boat I thought ok now polish the cav plate. I started with some fine scotchbrite to break the oxidation loose but nothing I mean nothing. A little smoother is all.
    does anyone have anyone have some experiance with this. Thanks.......... v-drive Seems like the plates may be clear annodized, I would suggest taking them in and striping them and then taking them to a polisher, they will come out like new!.

PRIMEriverRUNNER8780
    If you have an aluminum plate, you may want to think about having it clear powder-coated after it's polished (if thats the look your going for.) It keeps the plate from discoloring for sometime. If you have any questions mail me at info@primemarineusa.com
    If you live in the So. Cal area i can suggest some pretty reputable places with decent pricing.
    Mike

PRIMEriverRUNNER8780
    I forgot to mention if the plates are currently ano'ed, when stripped, polished, and clear ano'ed again, it will still have that grey cloudy look to it. But it depends again what kind of look your after.
    Info@primemarineusa.com

stilettovdrive
    Hello, i have polished a lot of oxydated aluminum in my time, you start vith sandpaper and water, no. 400, and then 800, and then 1200, then you rub with Autosol or similar polishing paste untill everything shines.
    Some kind of acrylic car varnish if highly recommendet, unless you like to do this every day.
    Or even better, make new ones in stainless steel.
    It can be done, but ask a polisher first, for a price Quote, sometimes you get surprised in the good way.
    The viking.

63stevens
    Stainless looks great but weigh's twice as much. When I took the aluminum plates off my stevens and put stainless on i put the plates on the scale. the stainless was twice as heavy. if you are looking to keep weight down i wouldn't recommend it.

Thunderbutt
    63stevens:
    Stainless looks great but weigh's twice as much. When I took the aluminum plates off my stevens and put stainless on i put the plates on the scale. the stainless was twice as heavy. if you are looking to keep weight down i wouldn't recommend it. What thickness stainless did you use, I'm thinking of doing that.

63stevens
    I used 1/8th inch stainless and it was still twice as heavy as the 1/4 aluminum. the stainless looks good and doesn't require much maintenance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast