Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blower Belt....

Ron Hill
    I've been thinking....which if you know me could be dangerous....but aren't a lot of Harley-Davidson motorcycles driven with belt???
    A blower belt with take how much horsepower?? What I've been thinking, why use a V-Drive? Why not a blower belt or even two blower belts...I don't smoke anything, but I do drink...
    I've just been thinking... What do you all think??

Moneypitt
    I've been thinking....which if you know me could be dangerous....but aren't a lot of Harley-Davidson motorcycles driven with belt???
    A blower belt with take how much horsepower?? What I've been thinking, why use a V-Drive? Why not a blower belt or even two blower belts...I don't smoke anything, but I do drink...
    Ron, it could be worked out, or in, however you want to say it. Interesting concept. No directional change, gearing at the switch of a pulley or two, much less friction of moving parts...........It would take a re engineering of the shaft log to allow for the side load needed to make the belt work, and the motor would need to be parallel to the shaft in order to keep the belt aligned. Interesting indeed.........What about the in/out part? How would you dis- engage it? Idler pully?? I've got a flywheel driven v drive Olds hydro we could play with.......Ray
    PS: Bump up the octane, and give me another.........Yeah, the same as he is having.........

MikeF
    Gear ratios would be a little difficult....but you could drive the propshaft "out of the box" w/a constant velocity joint. (unsure of the power loss, but I can't imagine it really being that much).....and the engine would have to be "turned around" again. :boxed:
    You could then mount the engine as low as possible (w/ drysump) to keep the CG as low as possible and then make the propshaft whatever degree you want it.

Norseman
    Cog belts are used on aircraft all the time to connect the engine and the prop.

MikeF
    Not finding a belt(s) suitable for 400+ HP......? :clover:

wsuwrhr
    Not finding a belt(s) suitable for 400+ HP......? :clover:
    Kevlar.

MikeF
    Kevlar.
    Well that pretty much clears up all the details! :crossx: :mix:

wsuwrhr
    Well that pretty much clears up all the details! :crossx: :mix:
    Laughs
    Just trying to help

HydroNut
    I have seen this set up in a 4.2 litre (253cuin) hydroplane called "Beer N Boats" owned and driven by one of the true characters of hydroplane racing in Aussie, Greg Holland.
    This class uses a stock 253 Holden V8 engine. The shafts are set up parallel and the set up is lighter than a v-drive, and ratios are easily changed as mentioned in an earlier post. The boat is extremely reliable and competitive, and runs well over 120mph.

rrrr
    Seems I remember hearing that turning the blower on a top fuel dragster takes over 1,000 HP. What is that belt made from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast