Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: one for the unions

hotlavey
    Whatever. You are like most and dont get the 'facts' that all the big jobs are union jobs cuz scabs cant do the work right.
    That is blatant horse---- and you know it!

Havasu_Dreamin
    its givin me a chance where a good guy can bring life expirences, common sense and the desire to learn and make a good wage for his family and I dont have to take crap from the "educated idiots" that are trying to run the show.
    So, to use your logic anyone with a degree can't do the same?

Scream
    Well, IMO I think Union's suck, but I'm a business owner and have heard from other business owners who's businesses were severly crippled from being forced into using union labor, doubling or trippling the cost of doing business and changing from a cooperative work environment to one of contempt, deciet and completely adversarial. I realize that unions have had thier place and that they were absoluetly necessary, but that is not always the case nowadays.
    Walmart on the other hand is probably one of the worst employers in the world today. Unions were made for businesses like Walmart. If the employees were to unionize it'd cut the legs out from under that 500# gorilla and that would be a good thing for everyone.
    Scream

Tinkerer
    DUH -- of course if you work in a union - unions are going to be great.
    But what I see is the unions are doing is getting middle income wages for minimum wage or slightly better jobs.
    This then raises the cost of what ever the company makes to a level that they can no longer compete with the rest of the world.
    I never could see how a company could make something over seas and ship it here for cheaper than we could make it here locally.
    It used to be that the overseas item was not of the same quallity as the locally made item but that is no longer true.
    This statement is not true for all unions but it sure is for most.
    Look as DELPHI.
    27$ an hour for an assembly line job that takes no real skills as all.
    I was talking to the owner of one of the factories that I do service for and he said that the DELPHI employies were making about $60 with benefits.
    I don't agree with what the management at DELPHI was up to but I think that there is just way too much greed out there.
    Why should someone doing a no skills job earn this kind of $.
    Just because the unions can is not a good answer.
    ALL the unions did was shoot themselves and their members in the foot.
    I work in a lot of factories doing mechanical repairs and see the jobs that these union people are doing.
    Most of these jobs could be learned in less than an hour and be proficient at in less than a day.
    I had a friend that worked in a union shop that did piece work.
    On friday they would bust ass and get the piece work done with 1/3 of the day left and it was OK for them to play cards for the rest of the day.
    My answer to him was if they were able to do it that much quicker then why didn't they up the piece work amount.
    His answer was that the union wouldn't let the management do it.
    OH and they got paid for the whole day.

Big Warlock
    For the union guys........
    Take the amount of money you are paying into the union retirement plan. Figure how much you will pay for 30 years. Then see the union table on what they will pay you at the end of 30 years in retirement. Makes Social Security seem good! LOL
    Take that same amount of money and figure compounding interest for 30 years. How much is there? Then give it, tax free at about 4% and what would you get for the rest of your life?
    Still like the union?
    Where does the money go? Ask your BA! :220v:
    There is a place for unions. But it goes both ways. A guy driving a forklift in a warehouse shouldn't be paid 100K per year. That's crazy stuff. If your so damn smart and good at everything, you should have no problem stepping up to the table and making a business of your own.
    And as a decent human being, having worked in the trenches, you should pay people a fair wage and share in the wealth you create together. That's called profit sharing and it can be easily created and explained. I have "X" amount of money invested in the business and I want to earn 12% on my money for risk, wealth enhancement, hard work, ideas, etc. etc. The remainder will be split amongst the employees and management. It then becomes "our" business.
    This has worked well for me. Not perfect, but better than most. No union required.

Old Texan
    Scream, Tinkerer, and Big Warlock bring up the points I've always felt about the current union situation. Obviously 3 views from real perspectives. Then throw in what Thor has to say. This is what I mentioned in my previous post. Unions are different things to different situations.
    Construction and skilled trades to provide competent workers able to perform quality work: unions are good. Small businesses that require skilled labor able to perform multitasking and be efficient, namely ability to think on your feet and perform jobs that require critical decison making: unions bad.
    Walmart? This company is a bit of an enigma. Most people that complain want to have the old Made in America, loyalty to the local merchant mentality. What Walmart really is, is a purveyor of good to mediocre product, that buys cheap thru volume, has tremendous cash flow and ability to put everything in one storefront, and thru their business model, provide low prices.
    I shop at Walmart for 3 reasons: convenience, low prices, and anything I buy that is defective (sometimes stuff I buy elswhere) I get replacement or new product. My loyalty is to my baank account. I don't give a rat's behind about loyalty to anything else.
    Walmart employs the bottom end of the labor market. They have another level of workers that are paid better and get equivalent pay and bennies. As you climb the ladder things get better. It's really not that bad of a business model. They are successful. Will a union fit? Sure. But ask yourself why. Because second rate or entry level employees need to have first rate pay and benefits? No. These people have a choice. If they are good hard workers they will advance and get what they earn. If they are slackers and give the minimum effort they get what they earn. If you think about it, this is really the way it should be in the job market. The slackers don't deserve union representation to force Walmart to pay them more for less performance.
    Unions have a place and there are businesses that will be hurt by unions. It's just not a black and white issue.

THOR
    That is blatant horse---- and you know it!
    Not really. Pretty true. Name one big job that is a non union job.
    Also, for the second time, Walmart is not a union company that utilizes and actual trade like the carpenters, sheet metals, iron workers, etc. There is a huge difference there. Walmart sucks balls and I will never set foot in one.

THOR
    Scream, Tinkerer, and Big Warlock bring up the points I've always felt about the current union situation. Obviously 3 views from real perspectives. Then throw in what Thor has to say. This is what I mentioned in my previous post. Unions are different things to different situations.
    Construction and skilled trades to provide competent workers able to perform quality work: unions are good. Small businesses that require skilled labor able to perform multitasking and be efficient, namely ability to think on your feet and perform jobs that require critical decison making: unions bad.
    Walmart? This company is a bit of an enigma. Most people that complain want to have the old Made in America, loyalty to the local merchant mentality. What Walmart really is, is a purveyor of good to mediocre product, that buys cheap thru volume, has tremendous cash flow and ability to put everything in one storefront, and thru their business model, provide low prices.
    I shop at Walmart for 3 reasons: convenience, low prices, and anything I buy that is defective (sometimes stuff I buy elswhere) I get replacement or new product. My loyalty is to my baank account. I don't give a rat's behind about loyalty to anything else.
    Walmart employs the bottom end of the labor market. They have another level of workers that are paid better and get equivalent pay and bennies. As you climb the ladder things get better. It's really not that bad of a business model. They are successful. Will a union fit? Sure. But ask yourself why. Because second rate or entry level employees need to have first rate pay and benefits? No. These people have a choice. If they are good hard workers they will advance and get what they earn. If they are slackers and give the minimum effort they get what they earn. If you think about it, this is really the way it should be in the job market. The slackers don't deserve union representation to force Walmart to pay them more for less performance.
    Unions have a place and there are businesses that will be hurt by unions. It's just not a black and white issue.
    What did I say that was so bad. Big jobs with highly skilled trades are not union jobs. Simple. At least not here in Cali.

Cat Skinner
    There is the answer folks. No loyalty to anyone but yourself. I guess that's the new American way.
    CS

THOR
    That is what I said many times on here. WHat is so wrong with MY perspective. Keep the small jobs non union. It doesnt benefit those types of workers.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast