Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: one for the unions

hoolign
    Bull$hit. Not one union outfit (outside of Grinnell) can man a big job or do it right. But, Grinnell has a union side too. Scabs cant man a large union job. Dont kid yourself. Unions are plenty useful if you feel like get the job done correctly and on time. If you want crap work that is done and will fall down in ten years, hire scabs.
    SO... an uneducated " union" construction" worker does a better job than an "uneducated" non union worker?? do the union workers get supplied with self aiming hammers?? The only reason it's a "union job" is the preverbial "one hand washes the other"

Tinkerer
    THOR
    I guaranty you that I can do better work than 95% of union workers in my field.
    If I couldn't I wouldn't be where I am today.
    I am currently making about double the wages of a union worker.
    And it is all uphill from here.

Hal
    Been a union member for over 25 years and yes they suck every dollar they can out of you. It pisses me off so much I don't even want to talk about it.

GMFL
    Bull$hit. Not one union outfit (outside of Grinnell) can man a big job or do it right.
    Try Covi Concrete. When the local (OC) market was in a slump, ten or so years ago, many of the larger concrete contractors went to Vegas as the market there was booming. Covi stepped in here and started building relationships. When the local market turned the big guys came back and got a surprise. Covi, a non-union contractor, had some large jobs. Union guys didn't like that too much so they sent picketers to the Covi job sites. This is what I like the most. The Picketers were not Union members, but hired but the union for minimum wage and NO BENIFITS. Classic.
    BTW, Covi kept out the union, produced a quality product, paid fair wages and yes, made a fair profit.
    Again, as I posted above the unions do NOT control or offer any better quality or correctness, let alone do their work any quicker. The jobs are monitored by local govt’s. and inspected for the work done. Anything not done correct, is not passed. As a contractor, it is in your best interest to do the work properly the first time. Union or not.
    As a quick example, the carpool lane from the 55 South to the 405 South in OC was delayed in opening because of cracks in the concrete. The delay was almost a year and cost multi-millions to correct. Oh yea, it was a UNION job. Your guys sure have job security though.

havasu5150
    The transportation industry (read trucking), used to be dominated by Union carriers. Today this is not the case. Yellow Freight, Roadway Express and ABF are the only significant remaining union carriers. (now less than 30% of market share)
    Non union carriers are currently providing better sevice to their customers and charge less....and have a much better profit margin. Not due to having better employees, but rather fewer constraints. The hourly wage is not that much different, the variance comes contractural restrictions, and in the benefits. EX: Union; 100% medical. In the prevailing marketplace, this is almost unheard of...Copays, employee contibutions are common. This will be a BIG issue in the next contract. If this thinking continues, I forsee a continued shift away from Union employees

AzMandella
    Unions are a joke.Has anyone here noticed that the states that are predominatly union(Cali,NY,And the east coast)are the highest cost of living.My brother in law is in Local 101 in NY and makes about 150,000 a year.About 50% more than my wife and I together and we are far more financialy secure because it costs them double what it cost us to live in Tucson.Boy I could see it if Mc Donalds went union"that will be 15.95 for your Big Mack meal deal sir because we have to pay the juniorhigh dropout behind the grill 75,000$ a year to sit ther and flip burgers going Duhhhhh."My family buisness was union untill we got fed up and shut down long enough to break the union out and then when we reopened and only hired back 60% of the workforce and lo and behold production was up over 100%.No more lazy ass union scum sitting around hiding behind their contract.

BajaMike
    live better work union! The only union haters I've ever met, aren't or haven't been part of one! GO UNION!!!!
    You're insane....I've been a member of at least 3 unions...Retail Clerks, Teamsters, and United Mine Workers, and they all sucked. :220v:
    Did absolutely nothing for me but take my money.... :yuk:
    And the union bosses/managers were all currupt..... :crossx:
    UNIONS SUCK!!!!!
    :rollside: :yuk: :cry:

AzMandella
    live better work union! The only union haters I've ever met, aren't or haven't been part of one! GO UNION!!!!
    Spoken like a person who want's to continue to get paid far more than he is worth wether it costs us AND YOU more in the long run.

HighRoller
    Why don't we ask the soon-to-be bankrupt Domestic Auto manufacturers what they think of the unions. What about the already failing Airlines? The common denominator? The unions choked the life out of all of them. Wal-Mart, on the other hand, is the most successful business in the world right now because they know the value of a dollar and they refuse to OVERPAY their employees. If you don't like Wal-Mart, don't shop there.
    I don't dispute that unions once had their place. But now that we have become an excessively litigious society and have governmental oversight of everyone and everything, unions are as obsolete as the buggy whip.
    This whole thing has NOTHING to do with the workers' rights. It's about the fact that Wal-Mart is more successful than any union staffed chain. Thanks to the unions and their insistence that we pay a minimally skilled checker 20+ dollars an hour, Wal-Mart has now become the largest grocer in the world as well as the largest retailer. It's all about competition. Unions cannot and will not compete. PERIOD. And now that they've realized they cannot beat Wal-Mart in a straight up fair competition, they will resort to dirty tricks and defamation. Nice try, but 100 million people a week still vote for Wal-Mart with their wallets....

Old Texan
    There is the answer folks. No loyalty to anyone but yourself. I guess that's the new American way.
    CS
    The object is to pay the least to get the most. If Walmart has the same product at a lower price than Joe's General Store please explain what Joe has done to earn the extra money? Am I to pay for his big smile? If Joe's roof needs fixing or he gets his parking lot repaved, I guarranty he goes with the contractor with best price.
    Allegiance to any business is foolish if it costs more with no other benefit.
    I prefer to keep my money for my use, not hand it over just because of some hollow principle. I'm not going to be some martyr to the "cause". My obligation is to my family to manage my money and provide them with the best way of life possible. Key is MY money, that I earned with hard work. That's the American way and it ain't new.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast