Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proper Oil Merc 502

splasher
    I've got a 2000 Merc 502 MPI MAG thats been run on only Merc Oil. Wondering if there is anything better I could be running? Concerned about start-up wear if running SAE 40 as some have offered. Also, will my oil cooler allow this oil to heat to the proper running temp if run in the cold great lakes water? Any thoughts and advice are welcome. Whats everybody running and WHY?
    Thanks to all.

JETBOAT BRIAN
    Been running a Marine Power 502 with a blower for almost 100 hrs. I have used valvoline 40 wt racing oil and prolong in it from day one. No problems yet.Also use a prelube system!

waterbum
    I have a modified H.P.500 been runin' 15w50 Mobile 1 & Prolong. I crank the engine till I get oil pressure then let her fire. Never used any oil, changed every 50 hrs. May take slightly longer to heat but should be fine.
    [This message has been edited by waterbum (edited December 14, 2001).]

Tinkerboater
    I use the Valvoline 40 wt racing oil on the Great Lakes.

Essex502
    I have been told by those who proclaim to be lubrication experts that Racing Oils don't have additives that prevent breakdown of the oil. They claimed that the cycling of a motor from cold to hot to cold causes condensation within the oil pan and block. This condensation coupled with the sulfer with gasoline causes sulferic acid to build which breaks down the lubrication ability and additive packages in the oil. Now I have to say that I'm no chemist but the expert did seem to know what they were talking about. Now synthetic oils are supposed to be ester alcohol based and this breakdown doesn't occur. The Racing Oils are changed very frequently hence no need for the longer lifetime additives being present. With a boat, it would seem there would be even more moisture that could affect the process.
    I'd certainly like to hear from any others that may have more knowledge than what has been given to me.
    Good luck!

waterbum
    You seem to have nailed it pretty good.Everything you stated makes sense.The proof would be the oil pressure guage!!!!

moomba
    I have been using VR1 30 race oil for the last year. I found out that it leaves alot of ash when burnt. Most oils leave about .8%, this oil and other race oils leave about 1.5%. I am switching to straight hpo valvoline 30 or 40. This ash leads to extra heat, which i am noticing and it has been known to foul plugs.

rivercrazy
    Just go with a very high quality Synthetic like Mobil One or Valvoline. Try to stay with the heavy multi weights with Syn oil like 20W-50. Stay away from the thin stuff. You can't go wrong with Syn oil

Duck
    My vote with rivercrazy-and a pre-oiler!
    Love my Masterlube. 30# at 1st cranking of the month lets me sleep better at night.

Tinkerboater
    Just make sure you dont use synthetic oil during break in of a camshaft ( non roller ) I lost two cams that way on a 502

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast