Thread: Berk Packing Replacement

455Rocket
    Time for a new packing apparently... blew out on the lake today.
    I know I can replace it w/ rope packing, anyone try this or have any tips or tricks?
    The jet was rebuilt by Savage Marine in Havi about 120 hours ago (2 years), should I be concerned?
    Rope Packing (http://www.rexmar.com/page121.html)

IMPATIENT 1
    might try tightening the packing clamp alittle more first, it'll need to be adjusted a couple times after an overhaul , may not have been touch since rebuild

Jetaholic
    If you do in fact need to replace the packing, HTP carries a neoprene seal that replaces the rope packing, and apparently it never needs to be adjusted.
    Here is the link. Scroll down to "Mechanical Shaft Seal".
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Parts.HTM
    But yeah definitely try adjusting the packing before pulling your pump apart.

El Prosecutor
    Time for a new packing apparently... blew out on the lake today.
    I know I can replace it w/ rope packing, anyone try this or have any tips or tricks?
    The jet was rebuilt by Savage Marine in Havi about 120 hours ago (2 years), should I be concerned?
    Rope Packing (http://www.rexmar.com/page121.html)
    What do you mean by "blew out"? It would be really unusual for the seal to fail after 120 hrs., those things last forever. Impatient is probably right, you can probably fix it by snugging up the packing gland nuts a little 'til it drips only a couple drops a minute.
    If they do actually need replacing, the rope packings are easier than the mechanical seal b/c they don't require removing the shaft. There have been some interesting threads in the past debating the merits of the rope vs. the mech. seal, worth a search and a read if you can't decide which way to go.

wet77
    If you do in fact need to replace the packing, HTP carries a neoprene seal that replaces the rope packing, and apparently it never needs to be adjusted.
    Here is the link. Scroll down to "Mechanical Shaft Seal".
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Parts.HTM
    But yeah definitely try adjusting the packing before pulling your pump apart.
    I have had that mechanical shaft seal in my pump for 2 seasons now without a drop of water!
    If you want to take the pump apart its worth every penny!
    One less thing to worry about :rollside:

455Rocket
    What do you mean by "blew out"? It would be really unusual for the seal to fail after 120 hrs., those things last forever. Impatient is probably right, you can probably fix it by snugging up the packing gland nuts a little 'til it drips only a couple drops a minute.
    If they do actually need replacing, the rope packings are easier than the mechanical seal b/c they don't require removing the shaft. There have been some interesting threads in the past debating the merits of the rope vs. the mech. seal, worth a search and a read if you can't decide which way to go.
    You’re as surprised as I am:
    I tightened the packing on the water three times... loosened up after each run and leaked like a sieve... then started seeing strands of graphite in the bilge.
    Definitely NOT going to pull the jet for this project...

IMPATIENT 1
    i'd change em then, sounds like they got overheated and melted.might be alittle trouble getting out, but a good pick pulls em ok pretty good. don't scar the shaft.when you put the new ones in, make 1 opening go up, the next one down, the next 1 sideways and so on. ya gotta alternate the opens to get a good seal, at least that's how i've been doin it with luck. if 1 gets tuff shoving it to the back, use the clamp collar to push em back, it works pretty good.

Jetaholic
    i'd change em then, sounds like they got overheated and melted.might be alittle trouble getting out, but a good pick pulls em ok pretty good. don't scar the shaft.when you put the new ones in, make 1 opening go up, the next one down, the next 1 sideways and so on. ya gotta alternate the opens to get a good seal, at least that's how i've been doin it with luck. if 1 gets tuff shoving it to the back, use the clamp collar to push em back, it works pretty good.
    Yeah the Berk manual states to stagger them 90 degrees from each other. Either way, you don't want them in line with each other. Same with piston rings.
    The above method will work too. Just as long as they're staggered.

455Rocket
    In the past a buddy of mine used one whole length... instead of the 5 pieces that Rex sells. Any idea of the diameter of rope, and the length I would need? I imagine I can get it at a marine store down here in the South Bay, and save a little.