Thread: Water in cylinder help please

Lumpy
    Hello,
    I have a 427 Chevrolet. I am having a problem with water getting into cylinder number 1. I took off the intake manifold and found milkshake in the water ports next to the number 1 and number 2 cylinders and a slight shake in the number 1 intake port runner. Though there is no milkshake on the engine dipstick. The only thing I did to it that could possibly allow this was I put on a new intake gasket? Even though the gasket looked fine I am hoping this is the problem. What else could cause this? Thanks.........Lumpy
    Also forgot to add that the boat was stored inside a garage filled with coolant and the temp never got below freezing over the winter. Thanks
    [ May 18, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Lumpy ]

Fiat48
    I'll assume you haven't change your exhaust or water manifolds and you never had this problem before. There's a chance the intake gasket leaked at the water port, but most of the time water goes in the crankcase instead of #1 cylinder. There is also a chance that the cylinder pin holed over the winter. The way to check that is to use a leak tester with rocker arms removed on #1 so that both valves are closed. Put the piston a BDC and leak it. If your losing a bunch more air leaking the cylinder at the bottom rather than the top, or you notice pressure in your water system, you probably have a pin hole. This is just some checks you can do as your chasing the problem. You can also leak cylinder #1 with valves closed and remove rockers for cylinder #3 and the spark plug. Put air to the #1 cylinder and see if air is coming out #3 plug hole. That indicates head gasket not sealing between cylinders.

Lumpy
    Thanks for the reply Fiat,
    Well I did a leakdown test on all the cylinders. Not good. Cylinders 3 & 5 have leaking intake valves and cylinder 4 has bad rings. Time for a rebuild. Weird thing is cylinder 1 held pressure fine. Thanks for your help.....Lumpy

Lumpy:
    Thanks for the reply Fiat,
    Well I did a leakdown test on all the cylinders. Not good. Cylinders 3 & 5 have leaking intake valves and cylinder 4 has bad rings. Time for a rebuild. Weird thing is cylinder 1 held pressure fine. Thanks for your help.....Lumpy So even though you found these other problems you still need to find the water in #1 problem. Would be a shame to rebuild it and have the same water problem when done. Now would be the time to find it before you tear it down. Just my .02

Lumpy
    Just did another test just to make sure. I don't think I had number 4 exhaust valve all the way closed because now it holds pressure. Now number 1 seems to be leaking from the exhaust valve. I think I need to take a break and slam a 12 pack before I continue Thanks guys for all the help..............Lumpy