Thread: Aluminum Cyl Head mistake !!!!

LeE ss13
    I think I did a bad thing.... I left my pride and joy legal Super Stock aluminum cylinder heads on my primary race motor with studs on for 5 years.... I spent all day trying to remove the heads. I just hope the damage from pounding, prying, and beating can be repaired. The motor has been all over during the last couple of years. Salt water, fresh water, Firebird water (the worst). This could cast a showdow on Laughlin 5-31, 6-1. I will see if someone can fix them in one week. Anyone have a pair I could borrow for one race ??? I know ... silly question.

LeE ss13
    dreamsicle:
    What happened? Did the heads corrode to the studs? That sucks. I hope you get things worked out in time...Keith Yes, ... it seems to corrode around a center stud. I got one head up about an inch and reached in and hack sawed it off. The other head came off a little better. I was using a 3 foot screwdriver and several one foot ones. It was ugly. Not good.

wsuwrhr
    Call a machinist with a bridgeport in his garage. EASY job, done in an afternoon. There is some guy close to your neighborhood in Upland.
    Brian
    [ May 18, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

wideopen545
    had the same problem we removed the center studs frist and the heads came off a little easer still took all day good luck

schiada96
    Get it to me and I can drill it out for you.

126driver
    schiada96:
    Get it to me and I can drill it out for you. Sounds like he needs a little more work than that. wink Larry, which heads are you running?

schiada96
    Yeah I just re-read the post. I need the side work I can weld repair and do alot of stuff to help wink I got to get mine runnin.

LeE ss13
    14011077 "C" ports. I talked to the place that built them for me in '94. There going to fix them up. We'll see. I've a set of 6272990s cast iron but they need a lot of work.

LeE ss13
    schiada96:
    Yeah I just re-read the post. I need the side work I can weld repair and do alot of stuff to help wink I got to get mine runnin. Thanks ... if they can't repair them, (they don't do any weld repairing), I will certainly be calling on you ... maybe even see about a rudder from you. Thanks.

126driver
    Give me a call if you get in a pinch Larry. I have a set for my spare motor that are in the process of being polished. If you can call it a "process". I'm doing it myself and getting real lazy with the whole ordeal.