Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: double keyways on crank?

I am looking to underdrive it 20-25% with the 396. I know a 6 or 8 would work, but dont want to buy another one in a year or two when I want to go bigger. This way I can just change a pulley or two. With this motor, I wont see over 6,000 rpms. The boat N/A is seeing 5,000 rpms with a A impeller. Maximus, is there any way you can easily check if you are only running one keyway, and how long have you had that setup?
    Dan
    don't pay any attention to maxi, that long hair fag will have you super glueing the damper on. If this motor is a temp thing get a hold of ati, they have a drill jig set up for the 496 merc motor that lets you drill a hole that you can drift a round key into, and you don't need to take any thing apart. it goes in just like a stock key, except its round, and with jig you can drill it with damper on the motor. they came up with this deal because the 496 merc and LS-1 small blocks dont have keys at all.

Fiat48
    I single 1/4" keyway everything and have never had a problem.

Havasu47
    I am pretty sure that I am running a single key way on my motor with a 1471. But then again I am only spinning it 13% under at appox 6700 rpm. However 7100 has come about from time to time! :220v:
    If your dad put it together with one keyway it's so when your hair gets stuck in the blower belt it will spin the dampner and not pull your fat head into the pulleys and ruin that purple shirt. :rollside:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/..._bar_small.jpg

Blown 555
    I've seen a fixture that attaches to the crank and allows you to drill a hole 50% into the crank AND 50% into the dampner simultaneously. Then you press round stock into the hole. This isn't as good as a second keyway, but it DOES work and you don't have to disassemble the motor to do it.
    Just my 2 cents.

MAXIMUS
    If your dad put it together with one keyway it's so when your hair gets stuck in the blower belt it will spin the dampner and not pull your fat head into the pulleys and ruin that purple shirt. :rollside:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/..._bar_small.jpg
    Ahh yes the purple shirt! Poor me... poor me... POUR ME ANOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I was actually being serious about this double key deal. When we did my set up he wasn't crazy about double keys & said he has never had a problem with a single. Now 1 more thought here... Dosen't a prop shaft & v-drive set up run a single key! With the given over drives & rpms those things see I would think they would be loaded harder than a snout driving a blower??? Just a thought???
    Super glue??? come on bobby??? quit sniffing & get that red bus ready for the next ass whipping session! :devil: I'll buy you a drink with my purple shirt after its over... LOL! :messedup:

MAXIMUS
    By the way does my nose always look that fuking huge??? wtf... Time to Michael Jackson... :mix:

Havasu47
    By the way does my nose always look that fuking huge??? wtf... Time to Michael Jackson... :mix:
    LMAO!!!! I was thinking the same thing the first time I saw that pic. A little Carl Maldon (sp) goin on. :crossx: :rollside:

ghittner
    420 blower, 8-9 pds single key, overdriven, no problems.

Daytona100
    420 blower, 8-9 pds single key, overdriven, no problems.
    Any pics? I just bought a 420 with a chiller just want to check it out.

79centurion
    GN7, thats a good idea. I might go that route. I think that is the best way to add something without tearing apart the motor. Maximus brings up a good point though that a v-drive only uses one keyway for the prop and propshaft. They also see alot of overdrive, so they spin even faster.
    Dan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast