Hey everyone. Being new to all this, I was just wondering if anybody has any info on Hondo boats.
But getting info north of the border is a little like pulling teeth. So Im hoping all of you can help.
My story begins five years ago when I was searching through our local auto trader when low
and behold I spoted my pride and joy. I was not and am still not to sure what kind of boat it is.
It was mostly complete, but needed a lot of TLC ... mostly just to clean it up. After the first year
of driving it without changing it, I realized it needed a lot more than just to be cleaned up. The
engine was left with water in it over a winter which caused some serious cracks in the block which
I remedied by changing the block. Unfortunately, the 4-bolt main block (which is what the LS6 454's
came with) was beyond repair. The shop in which I worked, had a couple of 2-bolt main blocks. I
purchased one and totally rebuilt the engine which now measures 468 with a steel crank, polished
rods, windage tray, full floating piston pins, 10 1/2 to 1 pistons, and the original 990 casting heads
with a minor bowl blend and 5 angle valve job. This year, I hope to change the intake manifold to
an offenhouser dual port manifold. I run a Chevy EFI system and Glenwood water-cooled exhaust.
I also run a 22% overdrive castle v-drive. The boat has been pretty much turnkey since the day I
built the engine. I'm not too sure of the top speed, but with a 12 x 15 3-blade, my rpm is around
5500. The boat has got no markings indicating what it is, and I do know that California Marine in
the early days used Hondo moulds to make his boats. As near as I can find out and from what I
have seen from pictures in Hot Boat and other v-drive sites, it looks like an older Hondo. The closest
one that I can compare it to that I've seen is the Chelsea v-drive on the Hot Boat on-line website or
in one of the back issues ... not sure which one - I'll have to look it up. So if anyone out there has
any information on Hondo boats or can tell me what the hell this thing is before it drives me crazy
from people asking about it, it would be muchly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.