Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rounded Allens on Coupler

Bluefin
    I have rounded one of the allen bolts that tighten
    my coupler. As it sits everything is good to go
    but I would like to know the best way to get this allen bolt out w/o a struggle. Thanks MC

Sangster
    Drill it and use an easy-out.....

burbanite
    Sangster:
    Drill it and use an easy-out..... Yes.
    You might also want to soak it in something like Break Free first.

63stevens
    I hope you are successful at drilling it. If it's grade 8 it won't drill very easy. you might try seeing if you can go with a little larger allen wrench. say like a metric one that is a tad larger and drive it in.

*NAPALM*
    I HAVE HAD TO DO THE SAME THING.
    I USED MY SCREW X-TRACTOR SET YOU CAN GET THEM FROM CRAFTSMAN BUT IF IT IS REALLY TIGHT THAT MIGHT NOT WORK.
    I ALSO MADE A BIT WITH MY X-TRACTOR AND PUT IT IN MY HAND IMPACT THE ONE YOU SMACK WITH A HAMMER.
    AFTER FIGHTING IT FOR AWHILE IT BROKE LOOSE.
    GOOD LUCK!

Infomaniac
    Get one of the short EZ outs like MAC tools carries. It has a hex on one end for a socket.

burbanite
    If you have a small center drill, start with that. They have a large body and will allow you better control and there is less chance of breakage.
    Work your way up to the appropriate size with standard drills and the type of extractors that Infomaniac was talking about are better as, once again, you have more control and they are very robust.

mickeyfinn
    Here is a way that has worked for me. Use the allen wrench that is supposed to fit it. Mix up a little JB weld and fill the head and put the wrench in. Let it sit overnite and harden, then just twist it out and throw the screw and the allen wrench away. The allen wrench and JB is cheaper than a set of EZ outs and if your time and frustration is worth anything then this is the only way to go.

DansBlown73Nordic
    I would take a dremel and cut a slot in it. Then screw it out with a screwdriver.......... wink

spectras only
    Bluefin, the easiest way to get those nasty allens out is to find a similar sized torx[sp] bit from home depot.Tap it in with a hammer .It will not slip once hammered in .The bits are cheap enough to throw away with the allen bolt if you can't get them out from the bolt's head.It worked for me all the time .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast