Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to cut aluminum?

DaveA
    I've got some 2024T and 6061T stock that I need to whack up for some projects coming up, and was wondering what type of saws you x-spurts would use. I'm relegated to a chopsaw/miter saw setup for now. What would you use??
    Your experiences and suggestions, please!
    DaveA

wsuwrhr
    I use a variety depending on the job/time I have.
    My bad boy is a Dewalt chop saw with a carbide tipped blade. Goes through like butter when you keep the blade lubed, goes through teeth like butter when you don't....
    For sheet I use a Skilsaw with a carbide tipped blade. Definitely don't either method without safety glasses AND hearing protection.
    For production runs I use a bandsaw or buy it already cut from a Remnant shop.
    You didn't give and description to what size you were cutting so it is hard to say what is best for what you are doing. I hope this helps.
    Brian
    above tips are for ideal closed course condtions, please do not try them at home or around small children. Use ideas at your own risk.
    [ June 02, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

GofastRacer
    For rough cutting lengths of extrusion, I use a chop saw but for making brackets, motor plates etc, I use a bandsaw then sand the edges close and let the polisher take care of the rest!. BTW, 2024 is soft, use 6061, also if you annodize it, you will get two different shades between the two alloys!..

wsuwrhr
    GofastRacer:
    For rough cutting lengths of extrusion, I use a chop saw but for making brackets, motor plates etc, I use a bandsaw then sand the edges close and let the polisher take care of the rest!. BTW, 2024 is soft, use 6061, also if you annodize it, you will get two different shades between the two alloys!.. yea what he said, I left that out, but take it into consideration.
    Brian

Stab-n-Steer
    GofastRacer:
    For rough cutting lengths of extrusion, I use a chop saw but for making brackets, motor plates etc, I use a bandsaw then sand the edges close and let the polisher take care of the rest!. BTW, 2024 is soft, use 6061, also if you annodize it, you will get two different shades between the two alloys!.. Beg to differ Gofast, but 2024 is harder than 6061 and actully cuts and machines better. The "gummy" alloys are 3003(dead soft), 5052, and 6063... Use some good cutting/tapping fluid like Tapmatic #2 and it will cut great on a carbide chop saw...
    S&S

Hey S&S, Long time no chat, how are ya? Are you going to CFW on Father's day? I'll be there on Sat. only. Just so I don't get accused of hijacking the thread, Tapmatic is good shit and will allow you to cut just about any aluminum. I wouldn't be without it. 2024 alum. is one of the most popular hi-strength alloys available. It is easily machined to a high finish and easily formed in an annealed condition and can be heat treated. It has a low resistence to corrosion and should be annodized. Wanna know more?

Stab-n-Steer
    Hey 058,
    Doubtful on CFW... Got multiple graduations to attend on Saturday, Sunday's my only shot. Just got back from Laughlin, nine hour drive. Great event but it's the hottest damn place I've ever been burningm Now we need to get ready for Burley.
    Gofast is correct about the anodizing, all alloys will take on a different shade. When you weld aluminum that will be anodized you have to select the correct rod or the weldment will turn almost black when anodized.
    Tapmatic is great stuff and the nice thing is that you can get it almost anywhere, like Orchard Hardware...
    S&S

schiada96
    058 and s&s have it right. Miter saws work great for lube use stick wax or a bar of soap will work.
    4000 watt laser will also work.

GofastRacer
    S&S, 058 you're right, my bad got my FKN numbers mixed up! I been using Tapmatic for a long time, some good stuff!. schiada96, you say stick wax for cutting, I've never used it, how does it work for milling?..

superdave013
    I was cutting with this last night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast