Thread: AFR vs Trick Flow heads on a 302 ford

SnoopJonnyJon
    I am gathering parts to put a V8 in my 92 Ranger regular cab. I had considered going the 5.0 H.O roller cam route, but am now leaning towards an earlier 302 flat tappet, possibly with a Scat 347 stroker kit. My question is which heads should I use? I am not looking for an all out drag motor, I figure 300-350hp would be plenty. Locally I can get a set of AFR 165cc heads for $1577 cdn, or Trick Flow Twisted Wedge for $1388. It would be carburated with a RPM Air-Gap intake. I have not decided upon the cam yet, but plan on something with around .500" lift.

502 JET
    I have a 91 Mustang that I put Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads on. I am running a Ford Motorsport hyd roller E303 cam. It should make 300+ hp naturally. But I have a P600b Procharger on it too.
    They are both great heads that you are looking at you cant go wrong with either.

YeLLowBoaT
    I put a trick flow set on my 347 I built for my mustang, it made atleast 350 on pump gas. I have no exp with the afrs so I can't say which is better. just that the trick flow made great power.

SnoopJonnyJon
    The twisted wedge heads have relocated valves, correct? Did that require special rocker arms and pistons with different reliefs because of it? Do you think there is any need to go with a roller cam for an engine at this level, or will a flat tappet be adequate. I know you can run more aggressive ramp rates and have it idle nicer with a roller, but I am not sure it is that important with only 300-350hp.

YeLLowBoaT
    I had a machine shop order me the rotating asym, I just gave them the core, heads and intake. they did the rest. I do beleave you have to get the correct pistons. other wise you will have clarance issues.

502 JET
    The Trick Flow Twisted Wedge are designed to bolt rite on. The valve angles are changed so there is no clearance issues with the 2.02" intake valves. You don't need to notch the pistons unless running high compression. There are pistons available that match the heads. You will need longer push rods. They don't require special rocker arms. But if you want to run a stud girdle they are specific to the TFS heads.
    I used my stock 5.0 ho efi intake and had to port match it to the heads.

curtis73
    I personally LOVE the low-lift flow numbers of the TW. I chose TW over AFR for my 302 but I haven't built it yet so I can't back it up

WETTE VETTE
    I have no experience with Ford stuff, but I have a freind that does. His Mustang is "stupid fast" and he claims the Trick Flows are the ticket for the 302 hands down. After riding in his car and seeing some of the other cars he has tuned or built I an not one to argue!!

curtis73
    Yeah, really compare the flow numbers at all lift points and you'll see that the TW offers more flow with less port volume. That's always a winner.

SnoopJonnyJon
    Decided to go with the TFS heads. Now I just need to see if I can find a roller cam block. And if I can afford to build an AOD over a C4.