Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Roller lifter maintenance

Fiat48
    Just titanium intakes would do a lot. Used to be $75 a valve. Bet they are more now. I am poor so I run stainless. LOL

GofastRacer
    Just titanium intakes would do a lot. Used to be $75 a valve. Bet they are more now. I am poor so I run stainless. LOL
    Well I plan on Titanium, but I think stainless will end up beeing used,lol..
    BTW, your inbox is full!..

JMC
    No. I quit using them around 1988. Had one of the little springs break and didnt want the shrapnel floating around in there. I have had no trouble with hurting roller lifters.
    What about offset solid rollers? Do they have a shorter life? Im running 18* Big Chiefs with .720 -.730 lift.

You should run the valves after every round....not every race event. Or maybe you meant that. I find broken rollers are usually the result of something else breaking first..like a rocker arm or stud...or pushrod problem to where the roller gets smacked. Weak or broken spring aggravates things also. On lake deals...it is prolonged idling that kills them.
    If that lifter is spread at the bottom....you would know that when you pulled them out of the lifter bore. No reason why they cannot be rebuilt.
    I run the lash after a race weekend..Can you really say I should run the lash every round without knowing how radical the cam is?
    Good point on the lifter spreading..I plan on giving them a good inspection, probably mic them just for shits and giggles.

Fiat48
    This is my line of thinking and has been for many years.
    Every run the valve covers come off and the plugs come out. The plugs give hints at the tune up. So does the valve train if you are consistent with adjustments.
    Watching that valve train every round you might see valve lash changing. Or find a broken spring. Or find a trunion clip from a rocker arm ready to come off or already off and laying in the head. You might find copper particles indicating you spun a bearing. You might catch a problem before it happens and save your motor. If nothing else you will go to the starting line as good as you can be.....which is what the game is all about.
    There is a lot of substance there. Try to learn what your motor is telling you.

Fiat48
    What about offset solid rollers? Do they have a shorter life? Im running 18* Big Chiefs with .720 -.730 lift.
    Sorry I have no experience with those. But I dont feel the offset would make a difference. We are still dealing with lifter contact area of the same. Its been my experience that lack of oiling or a valve train failure (where the roller lifter can get smacked) is when you have a failure.

Yes, the offsets naturally side load the lifter so you need to inspect these more often.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234