Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paint

holiday
    NEED SOME HELP! THINKING OF REFINISHING MY COLE HYDRO...NEED TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF PAINT TO USE. BASE COAT, CLEAR COAT, IMRON, ETC..
    I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP I COULD GET.

76 sanger hydro
    hey holiday i do custom painting at a auto body and did my hydro . i have had no problems . i used ppg products use ncp280 for primer and a 285 activator works great especially on flexible stuff like boats. i used whats called DBU basecoats its a reactive reduced with a drr1180 reducer then use dcd35 clear with du6 hardner do not get the accelerator for it it crystalizes the clear. trust me my boat shines like a babys butt and dont have 1 crack in it and i have hit 109mph on it

76 sanger hydro
    cost should be about 500 to 600 for materials expensive but good stuff if you need call me at 707 427 3685 ill ask questions you have and even hook you up to my supplier dan

Seth Livzz
    I'm interested in this. I didn't know a boat could be painted. I thought you had to re-gelcoat it or something like that. Does the hull need to be scuffed up pretty well beforehand? Does paint hold up well being stepped on when people climb aboard?

76 sanger hydro
    the only thing that is different is gel is alot harder and can withstand more abuse ,but clear looks better yes you can walk accross it but its going to be slick also gel has no uv pertection and clear has 70% . scuff the boat with 180 grit paper and prime it block sand with 220 and wetsand oner that with 500 then go for it pick your colors and go

Riptide01
    I also believe paint to be cheaper then Gelcoating. Here is one I did using PPG AND House of Kolor paints. The new Urethane clears are awesome and can be easily buffed.
    http://community.webshots.com/storag...NsaEuno_ph.jpg
    [This message has been edited by Riptide01 (edited February 22, 2002).]

Seth Livzz
    Use Urethane eh? That's a step in the right direction for sure. What do you use to fill small dings in the hull? Epoxy or something like that? I can't imagine using Bondo.

Riptide01
    For small dings ,gouges ,etc. I have used a 2-part automotive type spot putty. Stay away from the (out of the tube) type fillers.
    Yes a marine epoxy is best for bigger things.
    Just think of it as working on a Corvette , They are both Fiberglass. Ever seen a Corvette Gelcoated?

Riptide01
    Geez, Finally got a picture to post. I painted this Hallet, 2-years ago. It still looks like new.All in how you take care of something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast