Thread: Harmonic balancer

MJS
    Can anyone tell me the advantages of a new harmonic balancer verses an old one? Is it an advantage if your motor is balanced and blue printed for a new harmonic balancer, is that the only reason why? Compared to stock motors, rods, piston, etc for an old balancer?
    Thanks for any comments.
    Just Dollars No Sense

Dennis Moore
    I guess I am a little confused, do you mean a new style or just a new replacement balancer?
    Dennis

Fiat48
    I guess you are talking about the new aftermarket balancers such as Fluid damper and Ati rattler, etc. There seems to be some benefit to these balancers in absorbing harmonics. I don't think I would run right out and buy one but if you current balancer is bad or needs replacement then it is a possibility. Stock balancers need to be watched especially 454 balancers as they have been known to come apart at the rubber ring. Many guys prefer to remove the outer part of the balancer on boats for this reason (besides "having it chromed").

MJS
    Well I guess what I was asking,Is it necessary to put a new balancer on a balanced and blueprinted motor? Thank`s
    JUST DOLLARS NO SENSE

Bahner tunnel
    Being that your new motor is "balanced and blueprinted" more than likely means you intend to run it harder than a "stock" motor. I'm pretty sure that the stock balancer was intended to run at a max rpm of around 4500. While a performance motor could spin 6500 plus in a boat. They can spin on themselfs making it impossible set your timming. I have also heard of stock balancers coming apart at high rpm. Besides that a smoother runnig engine will last longer and make more power in the long run.

Bense468
    My stock balancer spun on itself then finally came apart. I am running a fluid damper now and have no problems with it.