Thread: #1 Drive / Alpha Impeller Conversion

Speed955
    Has anyone converted their #1 or Alpha drive from having the impeller in the drive to front engine driven? Does anyone know if there is a kit out there to do this conversion?
    Thanks in advance!

Ryan00TJ
    I don't know of any kits on the market but it would not be too hard to fab one of your own. The Bravo drives use a engine driven circulating pump that pulls water. You would need circulating pump, pulley, brackets, new belt, hose lines etc for starters.
    Why are you trying to get away from the Alpha style water pump setup?

Speed955
    "Why are you trying to get away from the Alpha style water pump setup?"[/QUOTE]
    Just curious more than anything...I have to change my impeller this week and I just started thinking about it. The impeller went out right before this long weekend The thought of having to pull apart the drive just to replace an impeller just seems ridiculous. Not to mention I just changed my drive oil last week....

phebus
    If you make it part of your regular maintenance schedule, and change the impeller when you change the gear oil, you'll find that it's not much tougher to do then the Bravo impeller.
    I don't think that a conversion would be worth it.

Ryan00TJ
    I've had a few friends that use these impellers and seem to work longer than the stock impellers. One buddy replaces his every 5 years. I do mine every 2 years in the spring before changing the gear oil.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Globe...ategoryZ26455Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Speed955
    I've had a few friends that use these impellers and seem to work longer than the stock impellers. One buddy replaces his every 5 years. I do mine every 2 years in the spring before changing the gear oil.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Globe...ategoryZ26455Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Now that looks interesting, thanks for the link. Since I have to change it anyway I will try this impeller out, there is some compelling info on their web site. This is my first I/O and it has been a blast so far, I just couldn't understand why Mercury would put the impeller in the darn drive, I guess I had to find something to piss and moan about...