Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum blocks

I hate to start this thread up again, after it had pretty much run its course...but I have an oportunity to get what could be interesting information. A good friend of mine had Norm Grimes build him an all aluminum, blown-injected gas, small block chevy for his sand car. When Norm dynoed it it had exsessive blowby, which Norm attributed to the aluminum block flexing. My buddy is now buying a cast steel block from Dart and they are going to transfer all of the components from the aluminum block to the steel block, then they will dyno it again. This should give a good comparison between the aluminum and steel blocks. What do you think, interested in the results? Unfortunately, it will probably be a month, or more before we hear anything.

I'm assuming past the piston rings. I didn't ask, what other blowby is there?

fc-pilot
    I would love to hear the proven results that they find from this.
    Paul

WannabeRacing
    Bill Mitchell is saying that some of his new castings with re-enforcement webs, thicker castings and better design are starting to make as much in a small block as one of his iron small blocks. Of course, that is not huge cylider pressures, but steps in the right direction. Some of these new castings, and obviously the Forged and billet blocks- are getting really close.

cyclone
    I hate to start this thread up again, after it had pretty much run its course...but I have an oportunity to get what could be interesting information. A good friend of mine had Norm Grimes build him an all aluminum, blown-injected gas, small block chevy for his sand car. When Norm dynoed it it had exsessive blowby, which Norm attributed to the aluminum block flexing. My buddy is now buying a cast steel block from Dart and they are going to transfer all of the components from the aluminum block to the steel block, then they will dyno it again. This should give a good comparison between the aluminum and steel blocks. What do you think, interested in the results? Unfortunately, it will probably be a month, or more before we hear anything.
    Im interested. what kind of aluminum block was it and will the iron block be exactly the same design?
    what blowby are you referring to?

wsuwrhr
    I would definitely interested be interested in the results.
    This is by far the closest to a back to back test.
    Any chance something is wrong with the alloy block or machining?
    I am ass deep in my motor, but it would be interesting to see.
    Brian

fc-pilot
    If I had to guess, I would say that Norm would have the machine work right. But then again we all make mistakes. Well, everybody but me.
    Paul

wsuwrhr
    Norm does the machine work himself?
    I am just asking.
    I have heard the name before, but I don't know squat about his operation.
    Brian
    If I had to guess, I would say that Norm would have the machine work right. But then again we all make mistakes. Well, everybody but me.
    Paul

UBFJ #454
    Re: Norm Grimes
    "Jim Whiteley, owner and driver of the YNOT Racing Team Top Alcohol Dragster, is pleased to announce that World Champion Crew Chief, Norm Grimes has agreed to come aboard the YNOT Top Alcohol Dragster Team.
    Grimes of Burbank, California, has previously guided Rick Santos to five consecutive World Championships with the Jack O'Bannon owned Oakwood Homes TAD, and has also had a very large hand in the development of rising top fuel star Morgan Lucas, while Lucas was in the alcohol ranks, along with current sensation, Sean O'Bannon who finished number in the nation for 2006. Grimes has also had experience in the fuel ranks, most notably with Jerry Toliver, in the Toyota Funny Car.
    YNOT Team Owner Jim Whiteley of Grand Junction, Colorado said "Needless to say I'm thrilled about the addition of Norm to the team. This is our first year in the alcohol ranks, and being able to compete in the very tough Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, in Division Seven and ending up number four in points is a testament to the talent of this team. We have a very good base line and now with the addition of Norm Grimes, as well as Alan Russell, who has stood side by side for many years with Norm. This should put us right over the top or right close to it. We want to run for the Championship not only for Division Seven, but eventually for the Lucas Oil Top Alcohol Dragster World Championship. There are some teams from this division, which choose to run away from this division and go to another, to increase their chances of winning. We feel it is better to stay here and judge ourselves against the very best."
    The team plans to test extensively at the two Las Vegas Test Sessions and the one in Phoenix, before heading to Pomona and the season opener."

Grimes is the man..Ive never had the chance to meet him but Ive heard alot about him and all the sucess hes had over the years. He sure did a heckuva job last season with Obannon's team. Im told he was out at The Cp regatta and a few races at Ming last season, thought that was pretty cool to hear a guy thats tottally buried as a crew chief in asphalt racing still makes it out to watch some jetboats run.
    Here is an old pic of Grimes and Shoemaker when they raced Eliminator Daytonas..I'm told they were sponsored my Elim. boats at the time, their team was called Dash for Cash.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...g_1982_sml.jpg

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast