Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint ??????

Some Kind Of Monster
    I wonder what the best way to go about repairing gel coat chips and matching the colors. I have a couple 2"x2" areas that need repair. I tried one of those kits and it turned out terrible. To make matters worse, one of the colors that needs repairing is a brown with a metal flake in it.

BILLY.B
    Well it was a hydro in pretty bad shape first off. So when I got it, I gutted it. Then I got my dad to cap it and help me flip it over to do the bottom. Then he gelled the whole bottom up to the cap. Then we flipped it and worked the top. Once the top was looking good we sprayed automotive paint on the top, then I had the graphics put on the top and the boat cleared all the way down to the runners on the sides and to the bottom of the sponsons. So the bottom is solid gel. So the only thing that I don't like is the clear. It has certain spots where there is pin holes and I don't know if the clear should fill that. And you can feel a slight edge on the graphics and striping. The whole boat was color sanded and buffed out after the clear was finished. Ok, if the pinholes are in the hull the clear won't fill them properly. It may look like it but overtime they'll turn to blisters and then you'll have a real mess. If the pinholes are in the clear it could be what we call solvent pop. In that case you could sand the hull and reclear it and that would also take care of your edge problem. Solvent pop is caused by applying to much material into short of time and by doing that your sealing the solvents in before they have a chance to get out, and when you colorsand the job they open up and leave what looks like a pinhole. The only real way to determine the problem would be to see it.

BILLY.B
    I wonder what the best way to go about repairing gel coat chips and matching the colors. I have a couple 2"x2" areas that need repair. I tried one of those kits and it turned out terrible. To make matters worse, one of the colors that needs repairing is a brown with a metal flake in it. This is a common problem ( matching colors) with gel coat especially with metal flake. When it comes to gel repair I send it to local fiberglass repair shop by me ( Pats fiberglass). Don who owns the business has several years under his belt and does a great job on everthing from race boats to your average ski boat especially when it comes to color matching. Why don't you give him a call ( 909-946-3089), tell him I told you to call him and tell him your situation and i'm sure he'd steer you in the right direction.

dmontzsta
    I have a question:
    I have a 1964 LaveyCraft (as you might already know ) I have seriously been thinking of having it gelled since the white is looking pretty weird in some spots. It is a family boat that we go out and have fun with and race around a little bit. We do use the deck for loading and unloading passengers sometimes. My main question is, what paint scheme do you think would look cool? I would like to keep it white for the most part, but have some colors too. I would like it to have a "nostalgic" style paint job, something that would tell you it is from the 60s (MINUS METALFLAKE). Whoever did the gel last was obviously stuck in the 80s with the pink and blue. The bow design really fits the curves of the bow really well. Here is a pic below, do you have a style you could recommend?
    http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/dm...4/100_1129.jpg
    Thanks.

copperrat20
    Ok, if the pinholes are in the hull the clear won't fill them properly. It may look like it but overtime they'll turn to blisters and then you'll have a real mess. If the pinholes are in the clear it could be what we call solvent pop. In that case you could sand the hull and reclear it and that would also take care of your edge problem. Solvent pop is caused by applying to much material into short of time and by doing that your sealing the solvents in before they have a chance to get out, and when you colorsand the job they open up and leave what looks like a pinhole. The only real way to determine the problem would be to see it.
    So when do you want to look at it?

Daytona 25
    Billy B
    I have a white gelcoat that oxidized pretty bad over the some. I wheeled it with a heavy compound and wool pad, followed with finesse it and a foam pad. It came out pretty good but does not seem to keep the shine.
    Would I have been better off wet sanding with 1500-2000 and then buffing?
    Thanks for offering to help us all!

BILLY.B
    Billy B
    I have a white gelcoat that oxidized pretty bad over the some. I wheeled it with a heavy compound and wool pad, followed with finesse it and a foam pad. It came out pretty good but does not seem to keep the shine.
    Would I have been better off wet sanding with 1500-2000 and then buffing?
    Thanks for offering to help us all! How old is the gel and is it kept outside????. In some cases colorsanding and rubbing will help it to stay shinny longer but if the boat is older it might be time to go to more drastic measures if you want that shine to last.

BILLY.B
    I have a question:
    I have a 1964 LaveyCraft (as you might already know ) I have seriously been thinking of having it gelled since the white is looking pretty weird in some spots. It is a family boat that we go out and have fun with and race around a little bit. We do use the deck for loading and unloading passengers sometimes. My main question is, what paint scheme do you think would look cool? I would like to keep it white for the most part, but have some colors too. I would like it to have a "nostalgic" style paint job, something that would tell you it is from the 60s (MINUS METALFLAKE). Whoever did the gel last was obviously stuck in the 80s with the pink and blue. The bow design really fits the curves of the bow really well. Here is a pic below, do you have a style you could recommend?
    http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/dm...4/100_1129.jpg
    Thanks. If your gonna gel the whole thing i'd probably lean to putting the colors up the center of the deck and leave the areas that are blue and pink now white. Reason....i'm sure you walk on the side areas of the deck and if that was white it wouldn't tend to show the scratches as bad as a dark color. As far as colors go thats a personal preference. Back in the 60's popular colors were blue, red , yellow, orange, gold, black, pretty much every color except purple, pink, teal, and all that backwards tribal flame bullcrap. Then again you might want to be a trend setter and do something like that on your Lavey...LOL.

BILLY.B
    So when do you want to look at it? Anytime, call me and we'll set it up. 909-982-8555.

Kindsvater Flat
    Billy:
    Is is better to shake the can upside down or right side up?

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast