Thread: Alternator Question

sawtooth
    Hey guys does anybody know if you have to change the fan/pully (for cooling) on a alternator if you mount it backwards. I have seen some pics on here where the alternator is mounted to a plate that is mounted to some standoffs from the motor and it is a direct drive off the crank.....no belt. Also when mounted this way it will spin the alternator backwards, is this ok, will it still charge, what am I missing here.......besides a brain :messedup: Thanks for your time and help with any info.
    Chris.

Yes it is ok, we make the kit (for Prestolite alt). It will charge either direction. No need to change the fan. The reduced speed of alt along with cool air relative to underhood temps in a vehicle make it a non issue.

LUVNLIFE
    I used one of Rex's kits for awhile and it worked great.

sawtooth
    OK that sounds good mike, but will the hub (457 805) and rubber dampener (457 816) fit on a delco alternator ? I have a brand new 100 amp alt. that was gifted to me and was hoping I could use it. I could make the mounting plate and standoffs and am hoping that I could remove the fan/pully and install the drive setup you sell or is it a different shaft on the Prestolite alternator you sell.
    Thanks, Chris.

No the shaft I believe is a different size, measure the diameter and shoot me a pm. I believe the Delco shaft is larger. I believe there's also differences in the mounting spacers and possibly the diamter of the fan on the Delco. It's been awhile since I've addressed this issue so it's a bit hazy (or I'm getting senile as has been suggested elsewhere )
    If you are local you could stop by with the alt and we could check it out