Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: circle boat drivin'...

lilrick
    lets talk the do's and don'ts of circle racing a "FLATTIE". Describe the fine art of turning hard competitively without crossing that threshold of complete disaster........

rrrr
    If it's anything like all of the other crashes/wipeouts/blowups/cut pinky finger stuff I've done, you have to go past the point of equilibrium to determine the limits of operation.
    Also known as the oh shit barrier.
    :crossx: :crossx: :rollside:

Mid-life Crisis
    If it's anything like all of the other crashes/wipeouts/blowups/cut pinky finger stuff I've done, you have to go past the point of equilibrium to determine the limits of operation.
    Also known as the oh shit barrier.
    :crossx: :crossx: :rollside:
    Now here's a topic I'm really looking for input here. As a motocross guy, I know that to get faster, you gotta go on your head a few times to advance to the next level in speed, jumping, corner speed etc. With boats, it costs alot more money and is more risky to crash. If there is any input you circle race hotshots want to put on the table, I for one would really appreciate it. I'm pretty sure that you still need to go beyond the point of no return to find those limits, but if there are any shortcuts I'm all ears!! :boxed:

BIGCHRIS
    From reading what alot of these circle boat guys talk about,being GAY seems to be a plus

Funny you would mention motocross & or dirt bikes.
    In my limited experience driving a circle boat, I really feel that riding dirt bikes since I was a kid has helped me in runnig my Revenge. My personal feeling about running a circle boat is it is all about ballance. Controling the center of gravity to get the boat to do what you want it to do. Much like in dirt bikes, weight the front entering a turn, get the thing turned & on the gas as soon as possible, using the throtle to pivot the bike, loft the front out to accelerate as hard as possible. If it is a high speed turn everything slows down & it takes more ballance, Slow speed speeds the whole process up.
    Now where I am getting in trouble is I ran my new injected alky motor like my carbed gas motor this year. I would link this to riding a 125cc bike, the throttle is essentialy a switch all on or all off, to riding a 250cc or an open bike. Most of the time you grab some clutch & rip out of a turn but sometimes you need a little finnes getting on the gas.
    At CFW last year I was able to pivot the boat & hammer the throttle succsesfully all but two times. The first time I got in trouble I had the boat plated as much as I could & the nose was still coming up. As I lifted on the throttle the prop. hooked up & the tail seemed to find a hole. All of a sudden it felt like the boat was pointed straight up. The blue deck was huge stairing me in the face. Lukily the boat came down nice & soft. No harm no foul, just dirty shorts. Now the second time I got in trouble I realy am not sure how it happened but I think the prop. burned real hard & I had enough plate but it kicked the tail & the front right chine up on the bow dug in, when this happened before I knew it it threw me forward & to the right as the boat took a hard left. I was lucky enough to grab the right side of the wheel with my left hand & not come out of the boat. Not sure if I lifted before I got thrown forward, but when I got thrown my foot held the throttle open & the motot rpm'd pretty high. The second mishap popped some thin glass loose next to the passenger seat. I'll have that fixed this winter.
    The biggest deal I have learned is how to listen to the boat. Just like in dirt bikes they will tell you when it is going wrong. It is just how quickly can you correct & do the right thing to fix the problem. Also that I really don't need to push my deal to the limit. After all it is just a little o'le ski boat.

dossangers
    Everything changes when you put in a K motor! It makes the boat feel like it wieghs a 100lbs! But the power lays the boat down better than the SS which im still geting used to. Although i always rode a Service honda cr500 on the track anyway !! :rollside: :boxed: :rollside:

Lilrick, glad you asked this question.
    I have been waiting to divulge my new instructional video "How not to turn a circle boat"
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/rebilas...a/images/3.jpg
    This is what I call the "holy shit, I hope I don't get smashed by the boat in lane 5 splash"
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ntonywoops.jpg

lilrick
    thanks for the input guys. This thread is a pain in the arse to read now (cause it's so wide)!! Great pics Tony. This is gonna be a lil' different than the pink jetboat!!! TRyiin to understand what I'm doing in the boat before I put it in the water.

Fixed, Please keep pics to 750 wide thanx.

dmontzsta
    Just take it easy, especially if you have not driven a flatbottom before. Best thing to do is get behind the wheel and get to know YOUR boat. That is my advice.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast