Thread: Canyon for Sale!

GofastRacer
    In case anyone is looking for one!.
    Canyon! (http://www.boatingjunk.com/post/7340...-Dragboat.html)

How many times have we seen this boat for sale & how many different brand hulls has it been??

sanger mike
    lakesonly and I drove up to medford Oregon 2 years ago to look at that boat and walked away from it. boat has great history, great rigging, nice bottom, need's paint and trailer redone.

LakesOnly
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...50Illusion.jpg
    The above photos are the exact same images that were displayed three years ago when I went to Medford to look at that boat...and even then, when we got there, it was obvious that the pictures had been taken sometime earlier in its life (and the seller at that time confirmed this when I commented). Further, it was told to me at that time that the boat has been in storage "about five years."
    I spoke to Don Earmshar before going up to Oregon to see the boat. He had very fond memories of the boat and said it was one of his favorites. The boat was popped out of the mold, painted and fully rigged in a week, then taken to the Texas Shootout that Friday in 1982, where he came out on top and won a $1500 cash prize, and partied like hell all weekend. The boat remained competetive for the next few years. Earmshar did 152 mph in the quarter-mile, no capsule, back in the early 1980's in this boat. It had an Arias in it, was eventually sold to some guy in the Sacramento Delta. It then disappeared (apparently went to Oregon?).
    When I saw it advertised, it was advertised as a Dimarco. Don told me it was a Dimarco. It looks a lot like a Dimarco to me. But somewhere along the way, the brand name changed and I can't say for sure what it is (race boat / no numbers). Don told me about the hardware I should find in it, etc. Everything added up...but the condition was "in need of resto." The hull was solid, the hardware was nice. The trailer was in poor shape and I didn't trust towing it 800 miles, the current owner (back then) had never had a v-drive before and was taken aback by the power and had to shut it down in the river which resulted in lots of 'glas damage because it was being knocked against a concrete bridge pylon one day. The repairs were far from top notch and still primered. At the time, the boat was being offered for somewheee around $6500. I offered $5400 and received a flat "no." Again, a really nice boat...just needed lots of TLC and we all know what that can add up to.
    I have no idea what has happened to this boat since I last spoke to Larry about it and he told me that it had since been sold.
    I have not seen this boat in three years so I cannot attest to its current condition nor do I mean to suggest anything of the sort with this post....I am just reflecting on my trip to Oregon on that long, long day. On the way up there, cash in my pocket, I thought the boat was mine, man, mine. When I go there, my heart sank. I had the cash to buy it, but not the cash to sink into it and restore it to what it ought to be restored to.
    Old Thread (http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36783)
    On a later trip, I ultimately ended up driving even further into Oregon and bringing a boat home.
    LO

Itsahobby
    All I can say is this is one well travelled boat, now in york PA?? Did I read that right?

voodooCanoe
    Funny this popped up, Just was talking to Wayne about this boat at the World Finals. Asked him the question about the Dimarco/ Canyon debate. He said it was a Canyon. Good enough for me!

Some guy on the dragboat alley boards bought it and was gonna put a Ray Barton hemi in it and come out kill all the chevy people with it. He had never driven nor owned a flat before but was certain that everybody else knew nothing about motors and Ray Barton was the only person on earth that knew how to build horsepower. I think he joined the ***boat boards as Chevykiller then dissapeared. I can only feel sorry for Ermshar as this guy burned up the minutes on his phone.
    I drove that boat at CFW before it went to Oregon and it ran well with not a lot of power.

sangervdrive
    Here it is again.
    Canyon (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Canyo...06QQcategoryZ3 1270QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

REAL HP
    It seems like its been to long since I've seen an open flatty ride nice free and flat, the way they should. Great pic. Great racing back then, a lot of knowledge and awesome driving put to the water.
    http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/78/96/7fa4_1.JPG

PE 316
    I "forwarded" the ad for this boat to Mettler.
    His response:
    "the ad is TRUE, the boat is an absolute STEAL at that price!"