Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Grate vs Ramp loader vs Top Loader

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Ok so I noticed a post from 67weimann. He stated that his boat picked up 4 mph when going from a ramp loader(angle iron style) to a rock grate.
    Here is my question. Weimann, did you do any other changes? Did you refreshen up the pump? Did you do a tune up to the motor? Please explain to us.

67weimann
    not 4 but .4 (half a MPH)...fresh pump no tuning. Now I have a true baseline to go off of. Haven't posted anything since I want to get more data. My HEI coil took a dump on me on that trip so I don't know what really is going on.
    BTW nothing was in the intake no grate or loader. It was WFO...
    Now I need to put a loader in and see what happens. After, I replace the coil, I'll go and take another GPS reading with the loader.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    You only gained .4 froma fresh pump I built tyros(460 jus getn it) pump this year and he went from something like 65 to 74. Here is what I did. I added my old ramp style loader(a long one), straightened the vanes in the bowl on the entrance and the exit, added a detailed impeller and shouldered ultimate wearring courtesy of (hi-tech) and squirting thunder, set the clearance to .030, detailed the suction housing and added a little speed coat. The motor hasnt been touched since new(2 seasons). Oh and the pump was built on top of a thrash can Thats the funniest thing. He and I were both impressed with the results.
    Who did your pump weimann? What was the clearance set to? What impeller cut? What impeller brand? Not trying to bash one bit. I just want to help you

HotRod Sprint
    You only gained .4 froma fresh pump I built tyros(460 jus getn it) pump this year and he went from something like 65 to 74. Here is what I did. I added my old ramp style loader(a long one), straightened the vanes in the bowl on the entrance and the exit, added a detailed impeller and shouldered ultimate wearring courtesy of (hi-tech) and squirting thunder, set the clearance to .030, detailed the suction housing and added a little speed coat. The motor hasnt been touched since new(2 seasons). Oh and the pump was built on top of a thrash can Thats the funniest thing. He and I were both impressed with the results.
    Who did your pump weimann? What was the clearance set to? What impeller cut? What impeller brand? Not trying to bash one bit. I just want to help you
    Yo Michael, take a chill pill. He gained .4mph by removing his loader and not running one at all. And that was baselined "ON" a rebuilt pump. He is not going to see huge gains on this boat with a worn out 327sbc.
    Rod

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Yo Michael, take a chill pill. He gained .4mph by removing his loader and not running one at all. And that was baselined "ON" a rebuilt pump. He is not going to see huge gains on this boat with a worn out 327sbc.
    Rod
    Hey, slow down hotrod Ok so he already had the pump fresh. THen he did the test with/without the loader after the rebuild? My bad rod, I guess I misunderstood the post. My apologies

squirt'nmyload
    i was there too!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    i was there too!!!!!
    Ok and.......

squirt'nmyload
    just stating that i was there and can verify his .4 difference....geez

Cas
    .4 means absolutely nothing. Differences in water conditions, air temp, humidity, and many other things could explain that little of a difference. All those things can change in a very short period of time.

squirt'nmyload
    .4 means absolutely nothing. Differences in water conditions, air temp, humidity, and many other things could explain that little of a difference. All those things can change in a very short period of time.
    water conditions......glass
    air temp....maybe 65-68
    humidity.....very little
    yes, i agree .4 is nothing but it wasn't slower than what he was running with the loader.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast