Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paint or gelcoat??

Jbb
    Jbb, does one need different size tips for primers and paint? Should I get a book on how too? I painted some in the past but we never used anything different from primer to paints. Didn't know there was a difference back then. (30 yrs) ago.
    Guns are cheap enough now that you should have a dedicated gun for primer...one for base coats ...and one for clear and single stage solids
    Paint has changed ...it has a higher solid content than it used to....and hvlp technology is pretty much a must out West.
    I have no restrictions here...and own dozens of guns....I use a binks #7 with a 36sk tip for primer gun.....{when I started in this business it was the premier gun to have...and I still have the first one I bought years ago...still sprays great}....Primer surfacers require a larger tip...
    Yes you can use one gun...but you have to be very careful cleaning it
    The jobber I buy from has a set with two full size guns and a touch up gun in it for $99......and they actually spray pretty well for the money
    I prefer Sata,Accuspray,and Iwata guns for the work I do....but very respectable work can be done with the knockoff guns...
    Also buy a gravity feed gun...it is the thing of the future and they offer better balance and less arm fatigue.
    AS far as tip sizes
    I use mostly a Sata NR95 gun with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip for bases ,candy bases and such...And I like the Sata RP digital with a 1.4 tip or the Iwata LPH400 1.4 for clears...
    Coast airbrush www.coastairbrush.com has tons of how to videos and books....as does www.smartshoppersinc.com
    Books and vids are good reference sources....like Tom Brown is..
    But the best thing is to go to the junkyard ...get an old fender or hood.....read the books and watch the tapes....then go out there and start banging away on the dents,use bondo, repair rust.... go to a local paint jobber ...tell him what you are doing...get and read the tech sheets on the products you are gonna use...ask him If he has any mismatched paint to use on your training project{they always do...and practically give it away}Then ...prime, paint, and clear the parts....sand and buff them...you will make mistakes..and you will learn...pay close attention to the chapters on safety equipment,and dont cut corners there...There is no real secret to it and If I can do it...anyone can...It's just like anything else...it takes practice
    For further reference go to my section at www.riverratlife.com Im sure there is some useable knowledge there...in amongst the nonsense..

Tom Brown
    For further reference go to my section at www.riverratlife.com Im sure there is some useable knowledge there...in amongst the nonsense..
    Some clowns keep dumping on all the threads in there. Is that place unmoderated?

Tom Brown
    http://www.autobodytoolmart.net/sear...paint+gun+cups
    Thanks! That's a great link.
    I will now refrain from kicking your ass.
    .... for the next 24 hours.

Jbb
    Some clowns keep dumping on all the threads in there. Is that place unmoderated?
    They have standards?....:supp:

Jbb
    Thanks! That's a great link.
    I will now refrain from kicking your ass.
    .... for the next 24 hours.
    Thanks...I could use a breather...:hammerhea

Towndrunk
    Guns are cheap enough now that you should have a dedicated gun for primer...one for base coats ...and one for clear and single stage solids
    Paint has changed ...it has a higher solid content than it used to....and hvlp technology is pretty much a must out West.
    I have no restrictions here...and own dozens of guns....I use a binks #7 with a 36sk tip for primer gun.....{when I started in this business it was the premier gun to have...and I still have the first one I bought years ago...still sprays great}....Primer surfacers require a larger tip...
    Yes you can use one gun...but you have to be very careful cleaning it
    The jobber I buy from has a set with two full size guns and a touch up gun in it for $99......and they actually spray pretty well for the money
    I prefer Sata,Accuspray,and Iwata guns for the work I do....but very respectable work can be done with the knockoff guns...
    Also buy a gravity feed gun...it is the thing of the future and they offer better balance and less arm fatigue.
    AS far as tip sizes
    I use mostly a Sata NR95 gun with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip for bases ,candy bases and such...And I like the Sata RP digital with a 1.4 tip or the Iwata LPH400 1.4 for clears...
    Coast airbrush www.coastairbrush.com has tons of how to videos and books....as does www.smartshoppersinc.com
    Books and vids are good reference sources....like Tom Brown is..
    But the best thing is to go to the junkyard ...get an old fender or hood.....read the books and watch the tapes....then go out there and start banging away on the dents,use bondo, repair rust.... go to a local paint jobber ...tell him what you are doing...get and read the tech sheets on the products you are gonna use...ask him If he has any mismatched paint to use on your training project{they always do...and practically give it away}Then ...prime, paint, and clear the parts....sand and buff them...you will make mistakes..and you will learn...pay close attention to the chapters on safety equipment,and dont cut corners there...There is no real secret to it and If I can do it...anyone can...It's just like anything else...it takes practice
    Thanks Jbb, I will order a vid or two. Is that candy urethane kit enough to do the top cap on my boat or is it above my hea to give it a try? Also do you have a link to the guns that you are refering to from your jobber?
    Thanks
    TD

Jbb
    Might want to hold off on the candy colors till you get a little experience.....they also require a gun with a good even consistent spray pattern.....all in due time
    You might want to buy this video
    http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=4VDO
    Also there is lots of information and similar questions in this forum...check it out
    http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php
    I will be at the jobber I use in the morning I will find out the brand and see where they are availabkle online...

Jbb

Towndrunk
    Are you refering to the Titan 4 pc on the front page for 129 and change??
    Also, will my compressor be enough to use these guns?

Jbb
    Are you refering to the Titan 4 pc on the front page for 129 and change??
    Also, will my compressor be enough to use these guns?
    Yep...there are several manufacturers with combo deals out there.....I would want a 5 hp 2 stage compressor with a regulator/drier....and a toilet paper filter ...to ensure clean consistent air pressure and volume...
    this being the toilet paper filter......air goes in...goes thru a roll of TP....and out...clean and dry....good insurance
    http://www.autobodytoolmart.net/p-11...ilter-m30.aspx

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast